There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil

Know who you are working with and for.

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

They are flexible with my schedule between school and my other job. Some of the customers are great people. Depending on whom you are working with, management will teach you their aspect of the job, because the company does kind of promote from within. My co-workers are great; they always have my back especially since we all know we are working for/with an incompetent manager.

Cons

Management can care less about you, District and Store Manager; you will never meet the Division Manager rarely see the DM. The SM will lie and blame it on the system or the computers when it is really them; they get all the details about what should happen inside the store and how the store should be ran in addition make all the decisions, things can be changed if they just speak with the District or Division Manager. Moreover, because you rarely see the DM and the Division Manager they will automatically believe whatever the Store Manager tells them about you, so if something were to happen and the SM no longer likes you he can get you fired. I have seen this happen to my best friend from them on I have been on my P's and Q's (stressful) so that he won’t have anything bad to say about me. The SM also counts the money from your shift and everyone else so if your SM is shifty, incompetent, and trying to get you fired just because LEAVE before something ends up on your record and you won’t be able to get another job. Most Store Managers slack off, put their work on the cashier, and will rarely back you up if you mess up trying to do your job and theirs. My Manager takes advantage of the fact that I live nearby and calls me in on my off days to work someone else schedule or come in because he messed up the schedule and has a whole shift missing (hoping to get a promotion SOON). They focus too much on the customers and which store can sell the most cigarillos, energy drinks or cigarettes and don’t give a D*** about their employees only about how much money they can make, which is understandable but they take it over board. However, it is almost as if you can get over with this company, they pride themselves on "the customer is always right". It is as if they do not believe people lie: Just tell them you did not get your correct change, never got your gas (because they put it on the wrong pump etc...) because these big dummies will accept it; they will do anything to get the customer to come back and get them to recommend to other people. You work by yourself and are expected to do everything: run register, clean pumps and bathroom, clean office space, clean shelves, stock coolers and racks and deal with customers who are rude and trying to get over. You have to kiss management’s a** or be family to get a promotion in the company it all depends. Like one said everything is done on a whim whatever the SM or DM feels THAT DAY. Some of the managers are not qualified, for instance some do not have a high school diploma, therefore they do not have good written or verbal skills (bad communication), understand basic concepts (reading comprehension) or how to talk to people and how to deal with them (interpersonal/people skills). Do not know how long this company has been in business but they have big changes to make.

Advice to Management

Run the register for a week, get to know the area and the customers that visit your store, and appreciate the cashiers who do all the work and are blamed for all the mistakes. That will/might increase moral to actually do those stupid surveys they make us do and be truthful about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Murphy Oil

Hell

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

Pros

Top salaries in the industry and great benefits. The guys at the very top seem really nice and are very funny.

Cons

Those guys at the very top have no idea what really goes on in the field. If you go to work as a DM you will get paid very well but they own you 24/7. I don't mean just a hard days work I mean they own you and they do not give a crap about your family life it means nothing to them no matter what happens. Employee engagement? They think these little surveys are employee engagement. The people working in the stores hate the company!

Advice to Management

Get some Zone Managers that care about their people and that realize the goal should not be a competition of how many stores you can hit in a day. What kind of impact do you really think one can have when they are in their stores for 30 minutes and then move on to the next store so they can show they hit 6 stores in a day? Also the labor for these stores are ridiculously low. You wonder why these store managers are unhappy, they are burned out!

2. Think long and hard before you go to work for this company. The work and pace are far more than compensation.

Pros

Mostly located in front of the Nations number one retailer "Walmart". This provides high traffic and limitless customers. The service provided "gas" is a needed commodity by nearly every one. Many of the locations are kiosks, making them highly profitable. The kiosk concept exposes you to some employees that would not work for regular "C" stores. As compared to others in the industry, Murphy is highly advanced technologically. They are down to the minute on pricing and market trends. Murphy is a sales powerhouse in fuel and tobacco products. They are also still relatively small so the leadership is closely connected to the field. They do offer decent employee benefits. Murphy also puts it's money where it's mouth is in regards to charity and education.(Check out the El Dorado promise)

Cons

The work load is tremendous and very time consuming. Many locations within a district can be hours apart. One of the biggest challenges is the quality of employees. You are very limited based on the rate of pay. The "bottom of the barrel or the most tenured; not necessarily management material, are the managers. Not in all cases but in many, this makes them limited on what they are able to produce, which makes your job much harder. The bonus plan changes regularly. I have seen it changed 3 times in a year and a half; decreasing each time. It is very difficult to have a balanced life. Between calls and emails, the company provided Blackberry is constantly going off. This can be a source resentment from friends and family. There are 3 fuel surveys due every day. Although it is the stores responsibility, you still monitor all of them. You truly are never off. (I must add that there are different Division Mangers so some in other areas may have better off time. The Division Managers do change ever 1 to 3 years, thus no one is guaranteed to remain unchanged.) Recently the company has started having monthly contests promoting certain products. There is nothing wrong with this, but at Murphy it has really gotten out of hand. The numbers and results are not real. The Division Managers in certain areas go way overboard on pushing to win and not focusing on really growing the business and securing the company's future. In addition, every position above District Manager requires moving to El Dorado, AR. This is not a match for all lifestyles and dynamics. Lastly, those in El Dorado, often do not support the field, communicate well or even return phone calls. I have never seen a company where a District Manager has absolutely no authority or weight. To get anything done, it often requires the Division Manager getting involved. If you are coming from a larger, more established company or a truly corporate atmosphere, Murphy can be a shock. Although they are changing and moving toward a more corporate climate, professionally in the field and in the office, they are not there yet. For what they are paying, it is not worth it. If you have the experience and the degree to back yourself up, I would look else where. Their turn over rate, speaks volumes to this fact.

Advice to Management

Communication must improve in all areas. The El Dorado offices, should support the field because the field services the customers. The work is extremely tough and there are a lot of employees that truly care and want to do what is asked of them. Take the focus off the contests and closely monitor the driving forces behind them (even Division Managers). No on is going to win every contest; there always has to be a bottom. When an employee is off, they should be off, no one should be on call 24/7. Between the daily fuel surveys to fuel flow and pumps down; you are never off. Those reports were designed to ensure proper service to the customers. They are often used as lists to stay off of instead. Balance makes a better employee which makes a better company. The company guidelines and agenda should flow from the top to the bottom. There are often Division agendas that add to the heavy workload of the employees. This often makes Murphy a load that employees cannot bear. The present state of the economy keeps many in place, but once that changes many may vacate.