Murphy Oil

www.murphyoilcorp.com
  www.murphyoilcorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil

Ok company to grow your legs, tough place to stay long term

Current Employee - District Manager
Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Extremely fast growing company. Good place to grow your legs in management in terms of position and responsibility. Decent salary, pretty good benefits, company laptop/cellphone in majority of mid-level positions. Salaries for those not in mid-level management (ie managers) are not that good in comparison to others in industry when you calculate the work load that our managers have.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance. No clear ruebric given for promotions. Only one location for retail division (El Dorado, AR), which is a tough sell. Company operates very thin on everything labor to overall budgeting. High expectations/work loads, but limited resources to work with.

Work-life balance is crucial and it does in most circumstane takes money to make money. Can't be cheap with your most critical people - front line employees. Need work on salaries or expand labor to offer better assistance to getting job done.

83 Other Employee Reviews for Murphy Oil (View Most Recent)

Know who you are working with and for.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

They are flexible with my schedule between school and my other job. Some of the customers are great people. Depending on whom you are working with, management will teach you their aspect of the job, because the company does kind of promote from within. My co-workers are great; they always have my back especially since we all know we are working for/with an incompetent manager.

Cons

Management can care less about you, District and Store Manager; you will never meet the Division Manager rarely see the DM. The SM will lie and blame it on the system or the computers when it is really them; they get all the details about what should happen inside the store and how the store should be ran in addition make all the decisions, things can be changed if they just speak with the District or Division Manager. Moreover, because you rarely see the DM and the Division Manager they will automatically believe whatever the Store Manager tells them about you, so if something were to happen and the SM no longer likes you he can get you fired. I have seen this happen to my best friend from them on I have been on my P's and Q's (stressful) so that he won’t have anything bad to say about me. The SM also counts the money from your shift and everyone else so if your SM is shifty, incompetent, and trying to get you fired just because LEAVE before something ends up on your record and you won’t be able to get another job. Most Store Managers slack off, put their work on the cashier, and will rarely back you up if you mess up trying to do your job and theirs. My Manager takes advantage of the fact that I live nearby and calls me in on my off days to work someone else schedule or come in because he messed up the schedule and has a whole shift missing (hoping to get a promotion SOON). They focus too much on the customers and which store can sell the most cigarillos, energy drinks or cigarettes and don’t give a D*** about their employees only about how much money they can make, which is understandable but they take it over board. However, it is almost as if you can get over with this company, they pride themselves on "the customer is always right". It is as if they do not believe people lie: Just tell them you did not get your correct change, never got your gas (because they put it on the wrong pump etc...) because these big dummies will accept it; they will do anything to get the customer to come back and get them to recommend to other people. You work by yourself and are expected to do everything: run register, clean pumps and bathroom, clean office space, clean shelves, stock coolers and racks and deal with customers who are rude and trying to get over. You have to kiss management’s a** or be family to get a promotion in the company it all depends. Like one said everything is done on a whim whatever the SM or DM feels THAT DAY. Some of the managers are not qualified, for instance some do not have a high school diploma, therefore they do not have good written or verbal skills (bad communication), understand basic concepts (reading comprehension) or how to talk to people and how to deal with them (interpersonal/people skills). Do not know how long this company has been in business but they have big changes to make.

Run the register for a week, get to know the area and the customers that visit your store, and appreciate the cashiers who do all the work and are blamed for all the mistakes. That will/might increase moral to actually do those stupid surveys they make us do and be truthful about it.

Hell

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

Top salaries in the industry and great benefits. The guys at the very top seem really nice and are very funny.

Cons

Those guys at the very top have no idea what really goes on in the field. If you go to work as a DM you will get paid very well but they own you 24/7. I don't mean just a hard days work I mean they own you and they do not give a crap about your family life it means nothing to them no matter what happens. Employee engagement? They think these little surveys are employee engagement. The people working in the stores hate the company!

Get some Zone Managers that care about their people and that realize the goal should not be a competition of how many stores you can hit in a day. What kind of impact do you really think one can have when they are in their stores for 30 minutes and then move on to the next store so they can show they hit 6 stores in a day? Also the labor for these stores are ridiculously low. You wonder why these store managers are unhappy, they are burned out!

There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil