Don't Waster Your Time Working Here

Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Spokane, WA
Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Spokane, WA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the families and clinics is really rewarding.

Cons

Low pay Long hours- including weekends Lots of travel Too many layers of management- nobody is accountable High turn-over rate Focus is on raising money, not on patient care Employee evaluations are not completed by directors

Advice to Management

Bring in someone to restructure your regional and divisional offices. District offices receive little assistance- even when they ask for it. Have a guideline for HCSC job duties with level of priority. Have employees in distric offices do reviews of their directors at all levels and require distric directors to complete employee evaluations on time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Hard Work Pays Off

Former Employee - Health Care Services Coordinator in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Health Care Services Coordinator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for MDA was an incredible experience! As the main point of contact for all families in Hawaii serviced by MDA, it was clear to me day after day that we were making a difference. In addition to helping others, I enjoyed the fast paced work environment. There was never a dull moment and never a time when I said to myself, "hmm...I think I'm all caught up." During my time with MDA, I grew so much personally and professionally. I was allowed to take ownership of the programs and do what I thought was best to grow them. I appreciated this freedom, and I always had support (from local, regional, divisional AND national) when I needed it. Lastly, everything at MDA is done as a team. I LOVE this!

Cons

- Too many levels of management in some situations. - Too many acronyms...I actually had a cheat sheet for the first year to decipher what they all meant. - It's hard to separate work from home when you care so much about the people you're helping.

Advice to Management

I think it would be helpful to have more people in the field.

Great charity that could use some updating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worthy charity that has many years experience and success in fundraising and supporting area families dealing with MDA. Effective training.

Cons

Ideal candidates will be outgoing with exceptional communication skills, but most positions in a local office will be temporary.

Advice to Management

Considering the skill set that is needed to be successful in many of the positions in a local office, using temporary employees is a gamble. The use of temps, rather than hiring exceptional employees for fundraising diminishes it's effectiveness, in my opinion.