Muscular Dystrophy Association

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Just Disturbingly Awful

Former Employee - Call Center in West Portland, OR
Former Employee - Call Center in West Portland, OR

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office was in a nice location of town. That's really all there is to say about this place that is positive.

Cons

...where to start? The recruiting process has nothing to do with the job. Prospective employees with a health background were turned away (believe it or not). The "training" process was to watch a 20-year-old video and then give you a list of prospects - absolutely no practice or listening to seasoned employees. They insisted vigorously that employees stick to the script provided, but offer no assistance when questions arise - just "make the sale". Also the seasoned employees were NOT sticking to the script - some were out and out lying to callers to make the sale. Provisions were more antiquated than the boiler rooms in "Glengarry Glen Ross" - paper lists, phone books and push-button phones--no computers anywhere to be seen. People hired on were expected to make 10 sales a day on their first day - if they didn't, they were given the boot. The micro-management is abhorrant - they hover like vultures and chide you for even taking time to write notes down because "you should be on the phone every second--no excuses". There is also no feedback or warning--either you sell or you don't; and they just cut you loose if you can't meet their expectations. The high turnaround of this place is NOT a shock.

If you want people who will just sell sell sell, then do not advocate your call centers as performing a good, humanitarian cause. It's a money mill--admit that, and you'll get the employees you need for the business tactics of your company. Such a shame, too - MDA used to mean something wonderful. But if this is the way you want things, then at least admit it. Employees have families, too; and to turn workers out like you do in these tough times border on cruel and certainly does not show one whit of mutual compassion. I will most definitely not recommend this place to anyone I know looking for work.

219 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Working for the M D A

Former Employee - TV/Film Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - TV/Film Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After leaving I have lifelong friends. They were my second family.

Cons

The pay sucked butt for having a degree.

The management in my department was uber fabulous. We all worked well under them, and they were great boss's. I wish I could have ore like them. I am very happy with how things were presented, and laid out. They were very understanding of family issues, how they can just pop up. I never had to take a day off and get grilled about taking it. It was the best management team ever.

On the wrong track

Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The families are wonderful and if management would just allow HCSCs to do what they need to do to serve the families, it would be an AWESOME position.

Cons

Sadly, MDA's attitude is no longer what can we do for our families, but what can our families do for MDA!

Value the work of the HCSCs - they have a tremendous amount of responsibility, they can actually make a difference for families affected by neuromuscular disease and they are the face of MDA to the families you claim to serve! HCSCs should be paid more than an entry level salary.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association