There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Good place to learn some skills in event planning and non profit industry. Great ongoing training offered.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to advance quickly, and meet some great people: staff, sponsors, and families. Good way to learn a lot about different industries.

Cons

Not a place that promotes work/life balance. Lots of nights and weekends, but no compensation for extra time put in.

Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Not at all what it seems

Former Employee - HCSC
    Former Employee - HCSC

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MDA is constantly focusing money towards research and their goals are heartwarming. Salaries were competitive for the basic job expectations. Staff is advised of major accomplishments on the national level.

Cons

The office lacks cohesiveness, no one gets along with one another. All staff are expected to focus most of their attention on fundraising, not caring for families. It is not unusual to work an addition 10-20 hours a week and not be compensated. Technology is outdated and slow. Senior management is unrealistic in their expectations of local staff. Staff is not given timely notice on changes to their expectations.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about the type of services you're providing and hire staff that meet those needs. Wasting time with hiring highly experienced and educated staff into mundane jobs will continue to yield high turnover. Also, office directors should be given more flexibility in working with their own staff and making local decisions.

Work was a joke for a poor sales position disguised as a good cause

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some weekly incentives, like prizes and winning things.

Cons

The office culture is very cutthroat and was difficult in the first few weeks. Lots of calling and lots of bad leads. The calling periods were so short that we hardly had enough time to recruit people. With a very limited staff, not much was getting done. It felt like we were always behind. This is a joke, and it's a lot of cold calling and though they say this isn't a sales position, that's exactly what it is.

Advice to Management

Management seemed to be very cutthroat in the beginning. They make it very clear that employees are depensible at any time. They don't take harassment policies seriously and never listened or did anything when I went directly to management about a problem I was experiencing with a coworker and felt uncomfortable. Instead when the situation came to a head I was cut loose, because I stood up for myself to my coworker and had had enough of her harassment and still MDA never did anything. I only had a slight offense because I cussed at my coworker, but her behavior far outweighed mine, and she still never had anything done to her, even though she was harassing me. Management does not care. This is a horrible company to work for.