Muscular Dystrophy Association

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Growth

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with MDA for over 10 years and am most thankful for the opportunity to have real impact in my role. I am challenged daily to perform at a high level. No day is the same at MDA and the variety keeps things interesting. The families served by MDA are close to the staff and help you connect the dots. I work with an amazingly talented group of dedicated people. I appreciate the creativity and collaboration you find in the offices.

Cons

Certainly cons with any position. In order to provide a high level of services we must achieve our fundraising goals which means personal accountability and hard work.

Continue to grow the services for the families. Strengthen clinic partnerships and maximize dollars spent to provide the highest quality of care possible.

219 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Great Company!!

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment, great people. Everyone there is always willing to help you and go out of their way to see that the organization as a whole does a good job.

Cons

The recession hit MDA hard. They are still trying to reorganize and recover. Multiple office closures, furloughs, staff reductions..its all happened over the past few years. Hopefully things will settle down and they can continue strong with their mission.

Saving money is important, but taking care of your employees is important too.

Don't Sacrifice Your Career - its a great cause, it just sucks the life out of you and the moral out of your team.

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Families... Families... Families! They are the best part about the job. You meet some amazing people and work very closely with several hard working individuals with a passion for the cause.

Cons

I read all the same reviews before making my decision to come to work at the MDA. I thought that my people skills, sales experience and project management background along with my passion for the cause would be enough to overcome and I could make a positive impact on the company. Unfortunatly that was not the case. This company is stuck in the pre 2000 era. They waste tons of money on senseless meeting that could easily be accomplished over the phone or internet. The travel schedule is ridiculous and Sr. Leaders are the ones driving this senseless spending.

Outrageous demands on your time, goals are never adjusted no matter how much turn-over you have (and trust me - it's a lot) and upper management will not allow you to bring in any outside ideas for fundraising. If you cant bring in over $60,000 in each of your silly Lock Ups, it is a waste. Lock Ups are so outdated and turn out is less than 15%. Pathetic.

Temps are brought in to do the cold calling for the event - and you may need 5 callers to make 16000 calls for a lock up event. The problem is you are always interviewing new callers because none of them stay longer than 2 days! We have 2 standing interview sessions each week because no one stays for such low paying jobs. The ones that do work out are great employees and were able to lock up about 7% of the people called - yet they were so good, other companies are looking to give them full time work and full time benefits --- we cant compete with that.

No Leadership only micro managers

With the stale leadership at the top its no wonder we are operating in the red.
    Look at your turn over rate - the numbers don't lie.
    Advice to interviewees ----- RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association