Muscular Dystrophy Association
www.mda.org Tucson, AZ 500 to 999 Employees

A great organization and a great cause

Director of Business Development (Current Employee)
Broomall, PA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for less than a year

Pros1. National MDA staff, including the new CEO, are very attentive to what's going on in the local offices and what changes staff feel need to be made and then they address those issues. It really is nice to know that your voice is being heard and that they are constantly wanting to grow and better themselves as an organization.
2. Our local leadership staff is phenomenal. I've been fortunate to be trained by people with 15 or more years experience with MDA and they could not be more helpful or supportive.
3. Clear expectations and standards--what I was told about the job in advance is exactly what it has been (which, as we all know, is not always the case).
4. My training was effective. You never know in starting a new job if they're going to throw you to the wolves right away or if you're going to sit through a month's worth of boring training videos. I felt that starting with MDA I had a good balance between theoretical training (videos, packets, one-on-one time with my supervisor discussing what I would be doing in the near future) and practical training (observing someone else doing aspects the job, doing things alongside my supervisor, having the opportunity to travel to nearby offices and gain experience from their team as well, etc).

ConsYou do work occasional evening and weekend hours so that won't work for everybody but the good news is those evening/weekend hours are events that are planned in advance. I haven't had any surprise late nights or anything like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your field staff and continue applying that feedback. I love seeing MDA growing as an organization and I want to continue to see us getting better and better.

Unsatisfactory communication

Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time for less than a year

Pros: It has a fairly laid back atmosphere, and comfortable chairs.… Cons: short lunch break. I feel that they're liars. They have… Advice to Senior Management: be more upfront with employees. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

You will sacrifice any life outside of work

HCSC (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

Pros: Obviously it is a great and noble cause. Cons: 1. Poor and outdated management structure. 2. Poor pay. 3. You are worked to death without psychological or financial… Advice to Senior Management: Move away from the toxic culture that currently exists to a more just culture that treats employees with mutual respect and dignity. It is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!

Muscular Dystrophy Association – Why Work for Us?

Why just work? Start making a difference today! MDA is the nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases by funding worldwide research. The… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Muscular Dystrophy Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Muscular Dystrophy Association CEO Steven M. Derks. All reviews posted anonymously by Muscular Dystrophy Association employees.