There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

It was Ok if you are good at cold sales

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, good team environment. Structure from office to office vary alot.

Cons

the leadership lacks at times. Sometimes you are not sure what to do and have to figure it out no your own.

Better Management training for better structured offices.

210 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Experience was okay, but not worth the effort

Former Employee - Temp
    Former Employee - Temp

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed knowing I was making a difference. I got to attend a lockup and meet some of the families. Some jailbirds that were recruited that I got to talk to and help fundraise were really fantastic, very eager and excited to raise money and attend the event.

I loved my co-workers, they were funny and extremely supportive.

Cons

Most of the work was on the phone calling the different jailbirds. Some were impossible to get a hold of and it was extremely disheartening when people cancelled participating in the event. I could understand, because the bail was ridiculously high and unattainable for some people.

I felt like I was stalking jailbirds. Our goal was to get in contact with jailbirds at least once a week, and if we had to leave messages, we were expected to keep calling them everyday until we got a hold of them. I could tell some of them were frustrated with me. While I know it was to hold them accountable for their commitment, I still felt like I was bothering them. I think the lockup program is extremely outdated as people become more and more involved in their work. They need to find another way to draw people in to care about muscle diseases.

We weren't reaching goals, so I offered to help raise money as well, since my family was affected by ALS, but they brushed it off, which I thought was weird. You'd think they would be supportive of an employee raising funds outside of work. Really rubbed me the wrong way.

Forget job security.Though my co-workers were awesome, I didn't like how temps were treated. If you didn't reach numbers, you were cut the same week you were hired. I saw several VRC's (Volunteer Recruitment Coordinators) come and go, and they were some of the nicest people just wanting to make a difference.They told me hiring me on through a temp agency, it could potentially be a temp to hire position. Throughout my assignment, they never specified what was going to happen or how long they would need me. My job was cut after about a month in the middle of the week. I thought it was done unprofessionally and secretively. I worked my butt off, but we weren't reaching goals, so I suspect that's the reason they cut me. While they gave generous compliments, it seems fishy that they cut me without prior knowledge or explanation, simply they didn't need me anymore.

Great Cause!

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

If you want to use your skills to actually make a difference this is a great company to join. Very goal driven and lots of encouragement to be creative with your events. Lots of opportunities to get to know the folks you're actually helping. Exciting advancements in treatments and research so now is a great time to be part of this cause. Great benefits package.

Cons

Can be long hours - especially in your first year of employment as you learn your position. Shifting goals as the organization is going through management changes and trying to find the best ways to meet financial goals and maintain services.

Listen to your staff in the field and help find ways for employees to have a great work life without too many personal sacrifices.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association