Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Over 5 years experience from Admin to fundraising

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Families and clients are amazing. Most offices have a close family feel and co-workers kept me coming every day

Cons

No incentives. Pay freezes for past 5 years while making new roles for overpaid staff from another organization the new CEO is bringing in. Not rewarded, recognized or compensated for hard work. No career path.

Culture change please. Value every employee. We are all making a difference in peoples lives.

220 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Undergoing progressive changes and restructuring for a better future, they will get there, I'm just not a "lifer"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Eugene, OR

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Families are amazing
    -Intimate team environment
    -Can develop many management skills
    -Fast paced and challenging
    -Easy to demonstrate leadership although not always recognized or noticed by anyone that cares
    -Good times had with sponsors, volunteers, and summer camp community especially
    -Generous paid time off

Cons

-Reactive and not proactive in approach to local HR issues
    -Do not give local Directors autonomy to make needed changes to their staff members, all decisions done across the board, been carrying dead weight a little too long and as a result have nothing to reward or develop young talent through incentivizing.
    -National Board waits until once a year to make serious decisions that impact all local levels, they do this by looking two years ahead for what they want and judging you on the year before - seeing no potential or regard for local turnover issues or things that might have affected you on a local level.
    -They want Directors to manage an office staff, carry an equal fundraising load, and manage the Health Care Services, too many hats to wear to be effective and the organization cannot effectively get the upper management for these areas to communicate on the same page.
    -They cut the internal meetings budget, felt like I was on an island sometimes, just did the best I could without much opportunity to connect with others - good for developing decision making I guess
    -No coaching for new Executive Directors or Area Directors
    -"Save my own but" mentality from layers of management, poor and selective communication only when it hits the fan

Accounting and legal remain at national level, grow your national business development team in vertical major markets, and maybe run things more autonomously for the rest of the field through metro or "state"-wide offices.

MDA is a great place to be a volunteer recruiter

Former Employee - Call Recruiter in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Call Recruiter in Jackson, MS

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association part-time (less than a year)

Pros

short work hours and short break

Cons

some people were rude on the other end of the line

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association