Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org
  www.mda.org
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

It was a good job for Tucson.

Current Employee - I T in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - I T in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I received some excellent training - offsite - in SharePoint, Dreamweaver, Adobe, C#, Visual Studio, etc. Keeping skills current is a focus.

Cons

Company politics were present, as with any company, but sometimes they were ridiculously biased favorably or unfavorably depending on a persons clout with the right influencers.

Don't let the exec politics affect how you handle your own teams.

219 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Amazing growth

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There is change among the company right now, which is a benefit to many in the company. The company is making changes for long term success.

Cons

the hours are Monday through Friday 9-5 with an hour lunch so with a 7 hour work day you consistently need to be getting work done, on the flip side only a 35 hour work week so you aren't tired and exhausted at the end of the week.

There is no hope

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The funds raised do make a difference. That's about it.

Cons

There were actually quite a few things I loved about working at MDA. Unfortunately those "pros" now fall into the "con" column for me, because it's the positive things you experience as an employee that make accepting the utter failure of this organization so hard to accept.

I can only repeat what hundreds of others have written on this site and others like it:

-Insanely high staff turnover
    -Toxic culture rank with disrespect and harassment
    -High pressure, bullying type motivational tactics
    -Extreme demands on personal time (largely due to constant turnover/open positions)
    -Declining family/sponsor involvement (due to turnover & constant pressure to raise more and more funds for MDA)
    -Promotion & protection of inexperienced, ill-equipped managers
    -Antiquated and ill-performing fundraising campaigns

Churn and burn, churn and burn. That's what this organization does to both it's employees and the families it serves. It is so unfortunate. I saw a lot of very talented people come and go in the 2 years I was there. MDA could rebuild if only it addressed its core problems, its awful culture and sub-human treatment of its staff.

It's rotten from the inside out, clean house, start new.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association