Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org

I almost forgot how talented I am.

Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsI came to MDA because I was passionate about the cause. I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life. My heart has been in this job since my first interview. The families are the best thing about this job. Since this job is so demanding and stressful it is easy to bond with the team that surrounds you. The office team became a family. We all truly cared about each other and would do anything to help out when our teammates needed us the most! There are some incredible sponsors you have the opportunity to work with. These people have hearts of gold and continue supporting MDA because of the mission even when they typically get a new MDA contact every year, that is dedication to the cause despite the instability. These things made my decision to leave heart wrenching, but the below list will give you further insight as to why you shouldn't do this to yourself.

ConsThe bad outweighs the good unfortunately in this organization. I do think it depends on what Divisional Director and Vice President you are under. Unfortunately this is the cause of my resignation from the organization. There are numerous things wrong but the biggest problem is lack of quality and supportive leadership.

Many times you will hear MDA executives talk about the need to put their people first, but this is the biggest lie they will ever tell you. They do not put their staff first, it is a turn and burn organization. You are overworked and underappreciated. It's non-profit, workload is TOUGH that's normal. MDA however has not caught on that streamlining the amount of events helps staff dedicate attention to building strong core programs. Instead all staff needs to have a fundraising budget of at least $350,000. It's not based on the workload that goes into each event of the number of sponsors each staff person works with, it's all a numbers game. Upper management has no idea what goes in to each event. They are all way to far removed to understand what goes into raising money today. You are expected to do it all and you better do it well. Arbitrary goals are set by others who have no real clue what your fundraising landscape looks like. If you do well expect an email to be sent out with a bright color font using lots of adjectives to describe your achievement and then......nothing. You might get a kudos email but then you get knocked right back down by management who again, can't do what they ask you to do. Budget Achievement is each districts goal, but even when you repeatedly surpass your goal the appreciation is still only a kudos email. You can enjoy your success with your team for a day before Divisional comes knocking asking for more money to make up for other districts short falls. It is never enough. Ever.

MDA spends time and money forcing their teams to do a failing Lock Up program. Give it a break already! It's not working everywhere. But you know what is working..mobiles! Help the districts work with national accounts, they always yield higher sales. Instead of asking staff to track their meetings for you on a database how about you let us know where you are as well. Get some national sponsors! Let us do what we do best a build relationships on the local level to solidify these relationships.

It is easy to lose sight of what is important while at MDA. Often times management leaves staff with the impression that money is the only important thing. Yes, we need money to fund the mission but why are we not focusing on our quality of care at the same time? There is not balance and that is a hard pill to swallow when you legitimately care about the mission. Other organizations supporting the same diseases are more helpful to the families they support, yet MDA wonders why family involvement isn't as high as they would like. Client care is a numbers game to MDA. They fund clinics based on data and do not distribute grants to provide equal services to all MDA clients. You can get more services free of charge if you are willing to travel to a different clinic more times than not.

I asked for an exit interview when I resigned, no one from Divisional, National or HR contacted me to meet my wishes. I was very disappointed because I was hoping to help and not just complain, I thought after 4 years of doing very well would make them wonder why a successful employee was leaving. They didn't care. They had my replacement three days after I resigned, no appreciation for a job well done. They even passed up three people on my team who were interested to hire someone clueless from the outside. The rest of my team all have been sending out resumes and asking for me to let them know when my current employer has openings.

Don't ever think you will be appreciated for a job well done, you won't. You will never get any quality training. No one is loyal to you. Everyone is replaceable, the only people that seem to last are the ones causing the most problems. I would never have let this job even with all these problems if it weren't for my direct manager. Because of the reaction I received when I resigned I started to question the impact I really made,

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your FEILD! Divisional is NOT helpful, it's an additional layer that holds up what is important. Derks, keep making positive changes, but please see through the front presented to you by some of the veterans you have kept around. They are only playing the game to save their butt and hurting the passionate, driven and focused people you need to take MDA in a positive direction. I believe things will get better, but only after they get worse.

Enormous change

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: You get the opportunity to work with some amazing families who always make you realize why… Cons: This is an organization going through an enormous amount of change right now with a new CEO and many high level executives being brought in… Advice to Senior Management: More transparency to the families you support and to your employees. Actually invest in serving families - not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was a good job for Tucson.

I T (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I received some excellent training - offsite - in SharePoint, Dreamweaver,… Cons: Company politics were present, as with any company, but sometimes they were ridiculously… Advice to Senior Management: Don't let the exec politics affect how you handle your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!