Muscular Dystrophy Association

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Not good.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL
Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to help people in need. Decent salary, but lots of events on weekends.

Cons

Poor management - My director supervisor was a twit. She did zero work except write nasty write up emails about my colleagues and I to her superiors. She offered little direction and never wanted to discuss issues.

Badly organized programs - MDA does events, such as Shamrocks and Lock ups. These are both antiquated programs, and no one is interested in buying a Shamrock or spending hours locked up in a restaurant.

Culture - Mainly women, so expect LOTS of cattiness. We were forced to dress up, but people rarely came into our office. It was a non-profit -- why dress up?

Get rid of most of your directors and regional management. They do not offer any help to staff, except when it comes to throwing them under the bus.

219 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Misguided non-profit with good intentions at heart

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MDA provides many of the needed services for those living with muscular dystrophy.
    Salary was comparable to other local non-profits.
    Offered a PPO health plan and dental (with discounts on vision).
    All local MDA offices work closely with the headquarters, everyone is held accountable to the same standards.

Cons

I was very hopeful when I accepted my (former) job at MDA. My interview was very positive and after taking the "tests" required to attain a job, I knew that I would fit right in with my experience. Within my first month of employment, I was already set on my path to succeed with multiple trainings, check-in phone calls, and constant support from my supervisor.

After the first couple months, I started to notice that things weren't quite right. This can be said for the local office management, as well as the national headquarters staff.

I would like to mention the EXTREMELY high turnover within the organization. Within my entire year of employment, our office was never completely full because of the high amount of resignations/new hires. Also adding to this high turnover were the "Volunteer Recruitment Coordinators" that were hired through local temp agencies to call potential donors (within my year, I had seen 50+ recruiters come through our door, and be "let go" the next day). Each office has a very strict quota and goal that they need to reach through fundraising, if a recruiter hasn't met their goal for the day-- they are gone.

I envisioned my non-profit career to take a new turn when I started with MDA. I came from another non-profit that was highly "customer-centric" and their sole mission was to provide the utmost quality of service to our clients. I feel like I was misguided when I came to MDA, thinking that they had the same values. My job was 95% cold calls, fundraising, and asking for money (yes, even as the full time/salaried Administrative Assistant) and 5% "client-based" work.

Please consider re-aligning your core values and mission within your local offices. Take note of your extremely high turnover within the full-time salaried staff, and make progress toward fixing it! After a year with this organization, I can honestly say that it was NOT a positive choice for my career to accept a job with you. Although I learned a lot about how to run multiple fundraising events in one month, and how to make cold-calls to sponsors -- my professional career was at a complete stalemate while in this position. Please work closely with your "Executive Directors" and take the time to train them on office management, many come from fundraising backgrounds and don't have any training on how to manage and talk to staff. I urge you to create positive changes within the organization, get out into the field and see what is happening in all of your local offices--- they are the life behind MDA and what keeps it going.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MDA is the best company that I have worked for. The cause is hands down one of the best out there and you can truly own your development and success. I am challenged every week and love every minute of it.

Cons

There is a lot of nights and weekends in this role but so goes event planning and anything in the nonprofit industry.

Continue to invest in your people.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association