Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org
  www.mda.org
There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Good experience

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with - my coworkers, the client families and our sponsors and partners. I built lifelong friendships and professional contacts. The summer camp is so much fun to attend and no day in the office is the same.

Cons

It can be very difficult to advance in your career and there was a pay freeze the whole 5 years I was there. There is much talk about making changes and getting us the money we deserve, but that came from the top, out of touch management. The Lock-Up program is dated and a frustrating fundraising program to work on.

Value your long-time employees more. Not just with words (though that was definitely not frequent enough either - new employees seem more valued), but with pay increases. I had been there three years and found out that new-hires were getting paid the same as me. It was very frustrating and I did not feel that I was in the loop on things happening in the organization...it felt like just the Executive Directors got to know important information. Lastly, some comp time and more work flexibility may have kept me there.

215 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Great Cause, but Be Ready to Work Night and Day

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love meeting the families and doing what I can to help make their lives a little easier. I have made some great relationships with our patient families. They are the reason I am still here. The pay is average, but when the workload is considered it's really not that great. Benefits are really, really good! Company continually looking for ways to make staff happy with work/life balance. We do provide more services to our families than any other non-profit and that is impressive, along with the fact that we have one of the highest percentages on use of funds to services. MDA is making great strides in research and that is exciting to be a part of.

Cons

Work load is ridiculous! Many weekend/evening events with no more money. In fact, raises are almost non-existant! I never feel I can relax at home due to being stressed about what needs to be done at work. Multiple events going on at the same time, so never a feeling of closure. Travel isn't too bad, but always just seems to fall at the worst time with families events going on! We are given a great amount of time off work, but it never feels like there is a good time to miss as there is ALWAYS something you need to tend to.

Executive Directors shouldn't be asked to speak for the entire office. If a question pertains to a specific event/circumstance. The employee involved should be spoken with directly. The director in our office tends to "mislead" in their favor. Training in ALL positions could be better, rather than a couple of days and then getting thrown to the wolves. There doesn't seem to be "across the board" structure on how things are done, which lead to confusion and mistakes. Would like to see a more UNIFORM approach and leave out the guess work. Communication to change is key. Information doesn't seem to make to it the district offices a lot of times until you are getting in trouble for something that has changed yet you were never notified of!!! On a more positive note, I think the benefits that you offer are excellent and your hard work to provide the best prices/coverage are much appreciated. The acknowledgement of birthdays and anniversaries are added bonuses and, again, very much appreciated.

Excellent organizational mission, not-so-great work/life balance for employees.

Current Employee - Fundraising
    Current Employee - Fundraising

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Getting to know local MDA families
    - Job is dynamic and ever-changing
    - Great way to get professional experience! You deal with so many different industries and walks of life.
    - Part of a tightly-knit team
    - 77% of what's raised goes directly back to the cause
    - Steady rate of promotion on district level
    - Recognition for a job well done and quotas achieved
    - Getting to work with dedicated sponsors

Cons

- Some benchmarks and expectations are unreasonable, especially with multiple programs occurring at once.
    - Work/life balance is impossible if you are doing your job right and getting your work done
    - Constantly balancing multiple events and programs
    - "Baptism by fire" training program
    - Feeling guilty taking a lunch break and leaving at 5:00 p.m.
    - Not much room for growth out of the district level
    - Seem to restructure every 1-2 years, changes to protocol are difficult to keep up with
    - Burnout

- Not all core programs will be successful in every market. Work with the district teams to devise a plan for programs that will work in their markets.
    - Whether or not we achieve our fundraising quotas, recognize the hard work and extra hours put in by staff. District staff members sacrifice a lot (exercise routine, time with family, etc.) to fulfill work roles.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association