MDA ROCKS!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for MDA for 12 years and I love it. I am very proud to tell people that I work for MDA and I am proud of the work that we do. MDA has excellent healthcare benefits, and is very generous with paid time off throughout the year. This company has always given me fair and generous compensation because I am an overachieving employee that has always met and exceeded the employee goals.

Cons

1. There are seasons of the year in which you must work evenings and weekends in order to meet the demands of sponsors. This at times become difficult to manage with a family. However, if you manage your time effectively you can figure it out.
2. There have been a lot of bad hires in the last several years. Some (not all) of the recent college grads feel that the are entitle to a hire salary position without ever "paying their dues". I have found that recent grads think that social media is the answer to all things, and that they expect that they should get raises without meeting their goals. This is frustrating to staff that have been working hard for years.

Advice to Management

Provide more training that is relevant to making the staff more well rounded employees versus program specific trainings. All staff need management, sales and people skills training that are taught by experts in the specific fields, not by MDA staff.

reviews filtered by
  1. Problems galore and no one to report issues to.

Pros

The benefits are great and are very affordable. The vacation and sick time are separate hours, giving your more flexibility, plus the company also has many other holidays that are paid for during the year. You also get an anniversary and birthday off.

Cons

I have seen my director verbally bash everyone, from temp workers, to management, to patients and sponsors. I have experienced first hand being cursed and yelled at, told to shut up, and have been left in tears on my occasions. While an hourly employee, I was expected to work after hours, travel for events and then not be paid for my time or given comp time. The turn over rate is unbelievable due to a director that doesn't care about rules or policies, expects everyone to be a work horse, and more so, the complete disrespect that is shown for everyone, from the ground up. I have even witnessed their boss being cursed at by this individual and it is appalling. There is no one to report this to. This individual and their boss are friends, as well as the person above them. I have seen reports made to the higher ups and then calls directly to the director to then tell the director everything that was said and for them to handle it. There is no formal HR and it saddens me to know that the MDA will be a sunken ship due to individuals ripping it apart from the inside out.

Advice to Management

Give heed to complaints and reports and act on them. Do not sweep it under the rug. Employee's voices matter and there are wonderful people that have come and gone due to the effects from one individual. Make a way for individuals to report certain things anonymously. VALUE your employees and encourage comp time. There is no time for families and personal time and an employee that has no way to regroup and rest, will be worn out, tired, and completely burnt out on their job and therefore, will not work to the best of their ability.

Not good.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to help people in need. Decent salary, but lots of events on weekends.

Cons

Poor management - My director supervisor was a twit. She did zero work except write nasty write up emails about my colleagues and I to her superiors. She offered little direction and never wanted to discuss issues.

Badly organized programs - MDA does events, such as Shamrocks and Lock ups. These are both antiquated programs, and no one is interested in buying a Shamrock or spending hours locked up in a restaurant.

Culture - Mainly women, so expect LOTS of cattiness. We were forced to dress up, but people rarely came into our office. It was a non-profit -- why dress up?

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of your directors and regional management. They do not offer any help to staff, except when it comes to throwing them under the bus.