There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

MDA ROCKS!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for MDA for 12 years and I love it. I am very proud to tell people that I work for MDA and I am proud of the work that we do. MDA has excellent healthcare benefits, and is very generous with paid time off throughout the year. This company has always given me fair and generous compensation because I am an overachieving employee that has always met and exceeded the employee goals.

Cons

1. There are seasons of the year in which you must work evenings and weekends in order to meet the demands of sponsors. This at times become difficult to manage with a family. However, if you manage your time effectively you can figure it out.
2. There have been a lot of bad hires in the last several years. Some (not all) of the recent college grads feel that the are entitle to a hire salary position without ever "paying their dues". I have found that recent grads think that social media is the answer to all things, and that they expect that they should get raises without meeting their goals. This is frustrating to staff that have been working hard for years.

Provide more training that is relevant to making the staff more well rounded employees versus program specific trainings. All staff need management, sales and people skills training that are taught by experts in the specific fields, not by MDA staff.

202 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Problems galore and no one to report issues to.

Pros

The benefits are great and are very affordable. The vacation and sick time are separate hours, giving your more flexibility, plus the company also has many other holidays that are paid for during the year. You also get an anniversary and birthday off.

Cons

I have seen my director verbally bash everyone, from temp workers, to management, to patients and sponsors. I have experienced first hand being cursed and yelled at, told to shut up, and have been left in tears on my occasions. While an hourly employee, I was expected to work after hours, travel for events and then not be paid for my time or given comp time. The turn over rate is unbelievable due to a director that doesn't care about rules or policies, expects everyone to be a work horse, and more so, the complete disrespect that is shown for everyone, from the ground up. I have even witnessed their boss being cursed at by this individual and it is appalling. There is no one to report this to. This individual and their boss are friends, as well as the person above them. I have seen reports made to the higher ups and then calls directly to the director to then tell the director everything that was said and for them to handle it. There is no formal HR and it saddens me to know that the MDA will be a sunken ship due to individuals ripping it apart from the inside out.

Give heed to complaints and reports and act on them. Do not sweep it under the rug. Employee's voices matter and there are wonderful people that have come and gone due to the effects from one individual. Make a way for individuals to report certain things anonymously. VALUE your employees and encourage comp time. There is no time for families and personal time and an employee that has no way to regroup and rest, will be worn out, tired, and completely burnt out on their job and therefore, will not work to the best of their ability.

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great! Mission is amazing. Many people are veterans of 10-35 years. You wonder what keeps them here. That is what I hope for!

Cons

Compensation unfortunately is not competitive--

review salary surveys in the different areas and become competitive to retain the newer staff...

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!