Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org

Mission rich job

Current Employee - Divisional Staff
Current Employee - Divisional Staff

Pros

Co-workers and clients/families we serve keep me coming to work everyday.
Office culture varies greatly from office to office. Our office is fantastic.
time off is good.

Cons

The company has been changing and has not found its own "culture" yet
company continues to down size giving the remaining employees more work
no pay raises in 6 years
new staff are brought in at same pay as current staff who have been here for awhile with no pay raises
no pay for performance
no matching 403b
no career advancement/opportunities (especially in administrative areas)
no recognition unless you are bringing in $$
you are only as good as your last event

Please stop the restructuring. enough is enough
Pay for performance. adjust pay for people that have not received raises. Administrative staff are not 2nd class citizens

Other reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Great families and an amazing mission, but leaves much to be desired if you are employed here.

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

Pros

The families- I personally have developed great relationships with many of our families... this is something that for me extends beyond MDA's bureaucracy. Working with these people is easily the best part of my job. I feel blessed to know that the money I work to raise is going to help find a cure for muscular dystrophy. Many of our long term sponsors are amazing, most notably our retail partners and firefighters.

Cons

Bloated, out of touch upper management, which plays favorites with employees in odd ways, such as passing competent and dedicated staff over for promotions in favor of others that are less able but who have been in place longer. An antiquated business model and hiring process. Like other non-profits, there is not very much money allocated to keeping up to date Compensation that is nowhere near market rates... as for a raise, forget about it. Benefits are terrible, as is vacation time (5 days of vacation in your first year of employment). Touts itself as an employer that "respects work-life balance", but this is far from the truth. Arbitrary and ever-changing territory lines make it difficult to engage new sponsors that you try to recruit- you are absolutely not allowed to "cross" territory lines, and are required to hand over new contacts located in that area over to the district office in that territory, even if you have a prior existing relationship. There is an odd focus on "signature programs" that are no longer relevant, are time sucks, and do not bring in very much money. It is difficult to engage or recruit top level donors or potential sponsors without support from the national office.

There have been MANY recent changes in the past two years that I have been employed here, nearly all for the better... however these are things that should have been changed a very long time ago, so it is hard to get excited about them. At other similar non-profits, these changes would have been a no-brainer.

You need to offer similar benefits as other non-profits (increased compensation, more PTO, flex time, improved technology in offices) to retain or attract top talent. Steve Derks is doing good work but changes need to roll out faster.

The Rewards Far Outweigh the Challegnes

Pros

The people you encounter while working at MDA are remarkable - from the families we serve, to the sponsors and colleagues who work along side you - the people are the best of the best.
    The work allows you to use all your talents and learn and discover new ones.
    The families made it all worthwhile.

Cons

MDA has been going through a lot of change and change is tough. The work is hard and demanding and not for everyone at every time of his/her life.

Create an environment of trust and respect that crosses all lines of the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!