Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org

Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term

Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee)

Pros* There are clearly a host of Current Employees who have recently made it a point to do some PR by listing many "cons" on this site...take that info very, very cautiously. Do your own research (Charity Navigator).
*Great and worthy mission
*Some of the most deserving families. Seriously, this is what keeps you going amidst the chaos.
*Every bank/gov't holiday is observed
*Summer hours
*Great opportunity to add in-demand experience to your resume (sponsorship sales, event facilitation, marketing, volunteer coordination, project management...). Very thankful for this because, combined with my previous experience, it allowed me to land an awesome opportunity elsewhere pretty quickly!

Cons*Disconnected leadership, both internally and with the 21st century
*Ambitious and lofty goals, but shallow knowledge on how to lead a team to such success (nationally, and as a result, regionally and locally).
*Hard to sell/promote outdated brand. An internal survey revealed that the general public of young adults have NO CLUE what MDA is! They're working on this...but it will be a very long journey.
*Unstable financial outlook = HIGH pressure on the field level to get $$$
*No retirement contribution
*No raises...nope...not even cost of living or merit based
*Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership.
*Quite honestly, it's just a hot mess internally. So often things would be last minute or unclear due to an intense scramble for much needed money. Also, because the organization is struggling to find its footing and invests nothing aside from annual salary in its employees, I would only advise working for MDA for the short-term to gain valuable experience. Run very quicly once you have some wins under your belt.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE, for the sake of the families you help, educate yourselves outside of MDA and encourage your staff at all levels to do the same. There's a flourishing fundraising world that is rebounding since the recession - relying on what worked 20 years ago is simply incompetent and obsolete at this point. Also, until you invest in your staff, your turnover will remain high and detrimental to long term success.

Great mission, great cause.........but......

Divisional Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: If you view yourself as working for the families that MDA serves, it makes it almost worth it! The feeling of satisfaction knowing that… Cons: The lack of stability for the past several years...never knowing (for sure) when the next "big" organizational change… Advice to Senior Management: The board and new CEO have brought some much needed change to the organization and I encourage them to continue with those changes but to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

MDA is an AMAZING and REWARDING company to work for

District Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life! Additionally, MDA has the best benefits...hands down! Holiday… Cons: You work hard...all day! But at 5p it's time to go and what's left is waiting for you in the morning! Most times you're working… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the great support! And thanks for recognizing our hard work, extra time, successes and so on! It means the world… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!