There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

PEASE READ! Don't be fooled by the most current reviews!

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a current employee, I am truly finding it hard to come up with a pro regarding my job as a fundraising coordinator, other than working with real families living with muscular dystrophy. With all of the jobs I've had, this is the absolute worst, and I'm not alone in this. DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT REVIEWS! I don't know where these "current reviews" came from, but I guarantee you they are from made-up accounts by the higher-ups at our national office, or certain employees were "asked" to write a positive review. PLEASE GO BACK TO EARLY 2014 OR ANYTIME IN 2013 TO READ THE REAL REVIEWS. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Cons

Where to start... absolutely NO TRAINING. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I can only speak from a fundraising standpoint, but there hasn't been one REAL training from my first day here. Sure, they'll tell you you're going to have a seminar or webinar or a "special meeting from the divisional head" for training - and the trainings are BOGUS. I still can't formulate into words EXACTLY what I do here because I've had no training. I was sent to a New Hire Training a few months after I arrived - 3 days long and it was a sales seminar... I left sales to pursue fundraising - fantastic.

Now for when you get the job... there's no real history from previous employees left in a database anywhere for you to look at. So you come in to your new job, with copies of emails and other odd documents on a CD-ROM and you're supposed to magically understand how to do your job. OR BETTER YET, look through mountains of BINDERS where all of the pertinent information can be found regarding your job. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Oh, and did they tell you about the pay freeze that's been in place for the past 5 years? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB! Good luck with trying to move your life forward in this place - no pay increase, no bonus, no ability to move forward (and how would you anyway with no training).

Everyone in upper management should be ashamed of themselves - I've seen the salaries you're making compared to the pittance you pay field staff - and you're not even doing anything to deserve it! And if you are, try a little transparency. Your ridiculous nation-wide conference calls with all your business jargon and garbage is just that - garbage. You never answer a question directly and you never ACTUALLY GIVE US UPDATES. And such a shame too, because with your 30% turn-over rate, all your doing is preventing families from trusting anyone new, and causing sponsors and partners to feel at a loss when they have to explain their program all over again. Shame on you.

GET WITH IT. What are you all doing up there... helloooooo. So what? - you're giving us early leave during the month of July, HALF OF THE STAFF CAN'T EVEN USE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

Tell the truth. Get rid of the dead weight (ie. divisional staff that have been here way too long to understand and offer new fundraising methods). Stop the pay-freeze OR offer performance based bonuses. Develop REAL trainings. STOP looking for sales people - people come to the MDA looking to fundraise and you're turning them into car salesmen. Have divisional staff be more present and available to field staff OTHER than the Executive Directors.

START NOW.

202 Other Employee Reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association (View Most Recent)

Great work experience, even better life experience.

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people that work at MDA, and especially the families that you get to work for, make each day worth it.
    You get to do various events and experiences that make it different than previous jobs and gives a strong growth of skills.

Cons

There has been a lot of change of the past several years and it's been tough. Smaller teams make it challenging for those trying to get everything done in the best way.

Follow through on what is said and remember your current team members are your strongest advocates and resource.

"The Mission is Everything"

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

At the heart of this organization is an unwavering passion to fulfill its mission of eliminating the world of muscle disease. The message is reflected in MDA's focus, its people and dedicated supporters. In a challenging fundraising environment, MDA has retained a generous health care package and made several changes to its time off policies to help foster a more sustainable work-life balance. MDA places a great deal of focus on promoting talented team members. The level of talent, drive and commitment of its workforce is astounding. The families that you meet and the stories of their courage are incredible. It is a very rewarding career.

Cons

Unlike some of their peer organizations, MDA is still trying to dig its way out of the damaging economic climate from the last five years and overcome some significant revenue losses. This has resulted in severe cutbacks, closure of field offices and has damaged the morale level. Its flagship fundraising campaigns have not kept pace with the changing demands in the marketplace which has also impacted revenue levels.

Although mission is the foundation to the organization, there needs to be a stronger sense of responsibility to the employees that are the backbone. The talent erosion over the past few years due to lack of adequate compensation is unfortunate. The efforts to improve the work/life balance are notable but employees are unable to take advantage of the opportunities due to the high expectations and round the clock emails.

There are newer employer reviews for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!