The Experience Will Get You Places......But First It Will Make You Miserable

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, families are amazing. Because you have to do many tasks outside of your own job, it prepares you for the next step in your career. Wonderful coworkers minus the upper management

Cons

I went to college to earn a degree where I could work in nonprofit. My first experience with a nonprofit agency was the Muscular Dystrophy Association and I will never work for another nonprofit thanks to them. I worked in a district with a very large budget. They run their employees into the ground and show no appreciation for them on the local level and very little recognition on the national level. In the year and 3 months I was there I watched 8 people leave one of which being me. Local management is very unprofessional, but believe they know everything. You are never compensated for working after normal business hours. You will get .50 for every mile you drive, and you will be driving around a lot! Do NOT believe the there will be room for growth because there isn't. The management will lead you to believe you will be moved up so you will continue to work hard, but they will snatch that right out from under you. Steve Derks has no personality and no idea what he is doing.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as people and not your slaves. Do not lie, cheat, and persuade to get your way. Be up front and maybe you would not have as much turnover

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Rebuilding a Plane in Flight

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Staff are friendly and helpful; tend to be cooperative across distinct lines. The insurance and retirement options are good for non-profit work. Salaries are fair for the market.

Cons

There is a poor work/life balance for much of the year. There is extremely high turnover. Training is very often lacking in practical applications for account management.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Aug 6, 2014 – HR

Thank you so much for your review. We value the feedback you have provided. We would like to take the opportunity to address your comment of "poor work/life balance for much of the year". MDA is ... More

Too much involvement from regional and divisional offices

Former Employee - Event Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Event Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in district offices who are really focused on the families being served and raising the money necessary to support our research and services.

Cons

Lack of understanding from regional and divisional managers that what works in Los Angeles may not work in Topeka, and vice versa. No understanding of the hours put in from Executive Director to Administrative Assistant, i.e. you worked all day and then went straight to support group until 10pm? too bad you better be at work by 9am.

Advice to Management

Listen to the district offices when they tell you why some programs work and others don't in their area. They live here, you don't.