Great Staff

Former Intern - Advisor Intern in Minneapolis, MN
Former Intern - Advisor Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Mutual of Omaha as an intern

Pros

Great office culture that allowed for strong professional development. Learned vital cold customer service skills including cold-calling and financial planning knowledge. Everyone is very supportive.

Cons

Need to have a passion for the insurance industry. Upper management provides supports, but person needs to be a self-starter and innovative. The job demands a certain type of personality. It is tough to get off the ground.

reviews filtered by
  1. Slow-Paced IT Environment, Excellent Management

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Mutual of Omaha full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely well-managed IT environment.
    Friendly and professional work environment
    Excellent handoff between BAs, Development and Testing
    Extremely mature SDLCs both in the IFS division (Agile) and Group (Agilefall).
    Organizational change is almost purely grassroots. (Very little top-down management.)

Work/Life balance was pretty amazing. I'm often reminded about how family-friendly the company is. (Remember, this CAN vary by manager, but I'd had 5 as I shifted around the IT organization and had great experiences.)

Cons

Career development is snails' paced. Years employed counts for more than demonstrated ability.

When I left they were also trying to lock down access to things like Maven Central without providing an internal replacement.

You have no access rights to your own machine--you are prevented from installing any tool that requires installation. (As a developer, this is basically hamstringing.)

Work from home access is manager-dependent.

Enterprise Architecture very open to new ideas, but since everything goes grassroots you'll be expected to champion your cause.
    This means that by nature, the company is slow to adapt to technological change.

The company is big enough to have a specialist for everything, so pretty much expect to be an expert in your area and that's pretty much all you'll do. This could be a pro, but I'm a control freak and I like to be involved with everything.

Advice to Management

If you baselined minimum raises to market-rate for Software Engineers instead of allocating $x to give raises among all a manager's, you might actually keep some people. The only reason I left was because of money.

2. No growth potential for sales assistants

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant

I worked at Mutual of Omaha as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn the ins and outs of RFPs and quoting as it relates to insurance

Cons

No formal training, no growth potential for sales assistants. Once you do that, you're stuck doing that

Advice to Management

Seek potential from the sales assistants