There are newer employer reviews for Myer Pty

Good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (Australia)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Myer Pty

Pros

Good leadership, teamwork , working environment. Myer is the best!

Cons

Too busy on the peak time

Better money

5 Other Employee Reviews for Myer Pty (View Most Recent)

Employer of Choice - unrealistic self-delusion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Myer Pty

Pros

- Strong brand recognition in the Australian Retail Industry.
    - Very challenging environment for those wishing to work for high pressure environment.
    - Very fluid and dynamic environment which is constantly changing.
    - Generally friendly colleagues within ones team.

Cons

- Low training and development for people within their roles.
    - Bums on seats, what-ever it takes management mentality.
    - Below board, most aren't empowered to make the decisions within their role but they are highly accountability for the outcome anyway.
    - Very high expectations to deliver with excessive pressure and lack of appropriate resourcing and support.
    - Very fluid and dynamic environment which is constantly changing and evolving. This is often despite itself to deliver on an idea but with little-no planning or considered review before doing.

It is my observation that the good people get burned-out quickly trying to meet often unrealistic expectations of them. We are very good at coming up with new ideas and new approaches but we rarely support these through with a realistic evaluation of how to do it effectively or appropriately. We so often do... just to meet a time line or for a quick benefit but don't really deliver because it was ill conceived or poorly planned on the outset.

Additionally, we like to consider ourselves as an employer of choice but the high pressure of our environment, the non-existent training and development programs (masked by ineffectual policy and processes that are in place with no funding to back them), and the constant shortcomings of our initiatives means that we have developed a very negative image for outside professionals. Everyone wants to sell us stuff or contract services to us but above entry level, no-one really wants to join the team unless they have no other options.

I think it is unfortunate and very sad that this is what has happened. I think the very top of the tree has the right idea and spreads the right message, but I just dont see it filter past the board to the teams or through the processes that we have in place.

Our brand and culture used to be sought after but now, most consider it just another mediocre salary that they would leave as soon as something else came along that was remotely close.

Good pay during Sale Season

Current Employee - Service Support  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Service Support in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Myer Pty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow team members are fun to work with and hang out after work. You earn a lot of money working on Mid-season sale and Boxing day.

Cons

No shift No Pay. Very few shifts during non-peak season. Very few to no benefits. No health cover or insurance. Senior staff do not have time to train new team members.

Further training new team members who will be assigned to a specific department. More staff on selling floor even during non-peak season.

There are newer employer reviews for Myer Pty

Worked for Myer Pty? Contribute to the Community!