N-able

www.n-able.com

Unfortunately more negatives than positives for a great company with lots of potential.

Senior Software Designer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey are a young company which has a lot of potential to go far. I would expect them to do so if they had a bit better leadership heading the ship.

The people I worked with were young and full of energy. They may not have had the experience, but they had the drive, energy, and determination to do whatever it took to get the job done.

The R&D group (including the quality control/quality assurance group) was very well run. They were very organized and they followed the standard waterfall development method. Actually, they modified it to fit their needs and it worked quite well. After every project, they reviewed what worked and what didn't and modified their procedures accordingly. This lead to a high quality product.

ConsEvery year, they seemed to cut benefits. This last year, they reduced benefits which a lot of people used and were upset about. IE, they have a benefit for employees, but if you use it, you will lose it. That hurt.

The moral at N-able isn't the best. At the time of this writing, the didn't have a summer event for the employees. They introduced quarterly awards for the employees, but only gave out the awards once. There is a profit sharing program in place, but since there hasn't been a profit, no bonuses have been given out. Not to mention the reduction of benefits year after year. There is the aspect of titles as well. Young developers out of school want to get to senior as fast as they can. While they may be stars, they are not seniors, but management promotes them to be seniors instead of increasing pay to keep them happy. That just makes the true seniors upset as it dilutes the meaning of senior. To be honest, there may be 1 or 2 true seniors in all of development.

There isn't training for the majority of employees. Less than 1/10 of employees get any kind of training. Most employees have come and gone before they get any. While I believe that most developers should be able to program in and pick up any computer language, one cannot get the full benefit of the language/tool without some soft of training.

Fiscal Restraint in the Wrong Areas: Getting software and hardware to do our jobs efficiently is sometimes a difficult task. To order a book at times was difficult. I am not sure if this policy has changed, but I just gave up after time and time of rejection.

Corporate Direction: I feel the company does not have solid direction. One can say that this is reflected in how they are no longer the leader in their space, the lack of profit, and having to play catch up with our competitors. I do not see (if there is a strategy, most do not know what it is) them gaining market share with their current product offerings or even their future offerings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not worry about selling the company, or going public. Worry about making a good product, and the rest will come. You have good people under you, they just don't know what to do due to the lack of direction.

Great place to make a name for yourself

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at N-able full-time

Pros: Great Team, Interesting Space, Growth Opportunity Cons: Small Company, Sometimes difficult personalities, medium salary Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Software Development Manager

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at N-able full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Open Collaborative environment, people are cohesive. Very good product. Higher management… Cons: Small setup not to big of a company, needs to be more… Advice to Senior Management: Need to device up strategy against competition. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on N-able.

Worked for N-able? Contribute to the Community!