NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

www.jpl.nasa.gov

Amazing science and brilliant minds-- but combined with horrible management that takes credit for your work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe scientific discoveries and the feats of modern technology and engineering have come from some of the most brilliant minds today, and these discoveries happen all the time at the laboratory, and make it one of the mot fascinating places to work, at least some of the time.

ConsThere are almost too many to include here. Management in several divisions throughout the laboratory treats its employees liike they were in fifth grade. If, due to office politics or funding issues, a manager wants you gone, he/she will make that happen, regardless of employee wrongdoing or not. It is a ridiculous place to work when months can go by and none of your management has taken the time to utter one word to you. (And yes, this includes "hello.") Very little respect or time to speak with direct supervisors- they are always too busy or too cowardly to tell you what is really going on. Ugh..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe leaders and mentors: not babysitters. Have some respect for the people who work very hard for you, as many of them might have more degrees and experience than you do. Please give credit o the people who have done the work- PLEASE stop reporting to higher-ups and taking credit for others' work.

Amazing place to work

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

I have been working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: You get to work with some of the best minds in engineering… Cons: Very much a university environment with government bureaucracy, which can… Advice to Senior Management: Be more aggressive about cutting fat quickly, so that middle management can spend… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Hit or miss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) La Canada Flintridge, CA

I worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as an intern for less than a year

Pros: As an intern, I was given many opportunities to meet important people--vice presidents, mission managers, important scientists, and the like… Cons: Most of my time here was spent laboring under fruitless, underfunded science projects.… More
There are newer reviews on NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Worked for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!