There are newer employer reviews for NASDAQ OMX Group

Some bugs to work out, but not all bad.

Former Employee - Developer in Trumbull, CT
Former Employee - Developer in Trumbull, CT

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

They spent a lot of money on brand awareness, that could work in your favor when looking for a new job. Seriously though, it's a good place to start out and definitley a place where change can happen. The company is very dynamic and open to cultural change, you just need to have the fire in you to go and initiate change.

Cons

Long hours for one. Two is that sometimes you'll finish a project on time, and it works well, but the sales side can't figure out how to sell it and it will die on the vine. I also wouldn't classify the company as Entreprenurial. The technical support staff leaves a lot to be desired as well. I was alsways dumbfounded at the lack of familiarity the support staff has with the product lines that customers are calling in for. In one case someone actually anwsered the phone with the greeting, "INET NASDAQ how can I help you?" Is that the standard greeting for tech support for market makers? Does that guy even know what company he works for? Is there any standardization at all going on with call scripts?

Advice to Management

I would try and untangle the data products business line from the market data side. They, by design of the organization, have been placed directly at odds with each other. As a result, there is fierce competition between the two groups to the point of duplicated efforts, poached sales lists, and anti-productivity. I've even gotten the notion on some calls that one line will intentionally not release a product even if it's a good idea and has a solid business case just because they don't want to deal with the other. In my opinion, one solution to this problem would be to merge the groups.

The marketing group also may need to be decentralized but controlled by a small group to ensure that the efforts from each product line adhere to branding starndards and a unified marketing message. What's going on now is that it's so locked down and centralized that it's almost impossible to get a both accurate and creative market message out regarding a new product. The marketing area should also be responsible for the analysis of the statistical data generated from the marketing vehicles that are being used. There is pretty much no standardization of the way market collects this data across the marketing vehicles to judge things like response rates to certain types of advertising, visits and user data from the various websites (and there are many). Again, this is only my opinion, but there doesn't seem to be a solid handle on all of the market data points coming into the company from all of the marketing venues. This is severely hindering the cross sellability of all exisiting gproducts as well as the impact of getting new customers roped in. There is also a lot of money being spent by the marketing team to outsource the creation of a lot of the verious ad materials and not enough time spent talking to the customers/business lines/technology side to get a handle on what the product actually sells to the customer so an effective marketing piece can be created. This area needs to be revamped.

Technology is also a little dicey, but not nearly as bad as it could be. It's biggest threat is (and probably always will be) that there is a culture of "my way is the right way" and it centers around job security. If there was a reward system in place for rewarding innovation rather than empire building, that may help. Also, there is a clear tactic that seems to have gotten a lot of traction (right before I left anyway) which was used by some senior managers on the technology side This tactic would be to create a crisis and then solve it in order to remain visible. It seems that visibility is where the pot of gold lies for the management and staff. This leads to stress on the empployees (which could account for the low morale in some way and wasted money in the form of hours spent solving problems that are blown out of proportion. In my opinion, this type of crisis management can never lead to a smoothly running operation where innovation and actual capitalism can allow the business to grow.

reviews filtered by

NASDAQ: morally bankrupt

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NASDAQ OMX Group

Pros

potential for stock option appreciation from ruthless and greedy management

Cons

No corporate culture, low morale, poor senior management, no respect for individuals

Advice to Management

People are an asset; value and develop them

2. Great learning experience

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at NASDAQ OMX Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively flat organization.
    Good learning experience.
    Friendly and talented people.
    A Lot of own responsibility and no micromanagement from managers.

Cons

The thing I find the most annoying is that the best people isn't rewarded enough for their great work. Salary is not great (Nordic Office).

Advice to Management

More incentives to the best employees. More internal training.