NBCUniversal

www.nbcuni.com
  www.nbcuni.com
There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal

Tremendous learning opportunities, great experience and you work very, very hard

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NBCU will give you a as much responsibility as you're willing to take on and if you are up for a great challenge you will get a lot out of it. Television has very hard deadlines with big visibility so you are tasked with delivering on time and making sure that work you've done is high quality. Top talent gets recognized.

Cons

Huge company with tons of administrative tasks to be done at any level. It's pretty political but if you're focused on delivering great work and doing the right thing you can potentially swerve out of the way. It is not very easy to remove someone who has been there a long time and used to doing things in a certain way, a way which may or may not line up with how it needs to be done.

Focus more on truly strategic longer term goals and not as much on staying out of trouble in the short term.

607 Other Employee Reviews for NBCUniversal (View Most Recent)

Satisfactory experience

Former Employee - Intern in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are fully stocked fridges and cabinets!! Filled with healthy snacks and drinks for all the employees. I would not have time to eat breakfast most mornings, so I would make myself oatmeal at work. The work atmosphere is very casual and laid-back.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at the moment

A good, large corporation to work for

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good benefits and mature corporate governance.
    - Good opportunity to move around between sister organizations under the NBCU umbrella.
    - Fairly casual and collaborative corporate culture.
    - Creative environment.
    - Strong yet very practical Legal team.

Cons

- Upriver governance from parent organization Comcast sometimes a little tone deaf.
    - Typical large organization dedication to supporting bad managers at the cost of good workers - this is an unfortunate necessity that NBCU hasn't figured out any better than any other large corp I've worked at.
    - There is a training program but it is not as widely supported as it could or should be.
    - Poor and erratic centralized talent acquisition support systems/procedures.
    - NBC companies have the ability to significantly underpay low level workers thanks to the cache of the brand.
    - Sprit of collaboration sometimes contributes to reduced and diluted agility.
    - Bad news or pessimistic outlooks are rejected as bad attitude (rightfully) but also at the cost of heeding sometimes valid advice.
    - Dedication to brand autonomy is sometimes detrimental to centralized efficiencies that might be leveraged. (But Comcast seems to have an interest in increasing centralization so this may change in coming years.)

See pros/cons above but overall this is a good company at which I would be happy recommend or work at again.

There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal