There are newer employer reviews for NBCUniversal

Old media giant struggling to adapt...

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at NBCUniversal

Pros

Good benefits
Smart, hard-working employees
Fun, creative work environment
Worldwide brand recognition

Cons

Senior management is out of touch with new technologies impacting the business
Hierarchy and convoluted org structure impedes decisions from being made quickly
Many groups within the company are working on similar projects and "reinventing the wheel" without knowing it.
Old boys club where well-connected people get hired into good positions even if they are not the most qualified.
Not enough minorities in senior management.

Advice to Management

Focus more on positioning the company for long-term success and less on short-term wins. Hire and promote more minorities.

reviews filtered by
  1. Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Universal City, CA

I worked at NBCUniversal

Pros

Media company is a plus - exciting "products" that you can be proud of seeing in the real world. Overall work-life balance is better than other companies.

Cons

Specifically in the organization that I left - there is immense turn over. It's actually pretty crazy, about 70%. Large part is poor leadership of the organization that is too focused on cost reductions and not bringing value to the internal customers.

Advice to Management

Time for some new blood.

2. Mixed bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at NBCUniversal

Pros

It's media ... where else can you say Jimmy Fallon in the elevator and Brian Williams at lunch? Definitely an interesting area, with a lot of room to learn and make a difference.

Cons

I feel that the HR and management here is by far the worst I've ever seen. There's many days that I just want to leave the company due to their incompetence, and am usually in a frustrated state with any of my dealings with them. It seems like a generally uncontrolled chaos that magically comes up with decisions that impact the rest of the organization.

Advice to Management

Respect and recognize your employees for their efforts. If you want to retain future technology, business, and operations leaders, don't treat them like second hand citizens.