Never a lack of work

Former Employee - Customer Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Customer Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at NCR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training offered. Generally friendly peers and managers.

Cons

Personnel cutbacks lead to a lot of overtime. Be prepared to put in no less than 200 hours of overtime in the year. I average close to 250 hours of overtime in my 3 years, and I know other people were getting much more than me.
I was a Customer Engineer, and advancement into a different role in the company is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

Put more people in the field to alleviate overtime instead of capping hours for "non-special" customers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

No work life balance and underpay compared to industry as a whole; joyless work environment

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Duluth, GA

I worked at NCR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part there are a lot of good people who work here. Convenient location if you live in Gwinnett and don't want to commute to downtown or other locations.

Cons

Many of the people who work here (and there are a lot who have been there for a very long time) identify themselves by what they do; and as a result their expectation is that you need to focus solely on your job first and everything else comes second. So there is no balance for most between work and home. One example is that several of the old timers do not take all their vacation (seriously? What is wrong with you people?). The salary is below industry average and appears to have been that way for some time. Not a joyful place to work; very low morale. A lot of people who have been there a very long time (with pensions) feel trapped

Advice to Management

Overall I think highly of Bill Nuti and the leadership team - they have built a vision and strategy that should enable NCR to continue to profitably grow. They embrace change and have made some smart acquisitions. They act quickly, for the most part, and take calculated risks (entertainment division, the old Blockbuster Express, is one example). Based on results from 2012 they may be taking on too much too soon though, as most folks that I worked with are not going to get a bonus for last year's performance (after blowing it out the previous couple years before that). There is a gap of talent in the mid management level, in my opinion. Many of the VPs are solely focused on how well their plans are built for the Strategic Long Range Planning; so much so that it becomes all consuming and as a result the focus is on that more than results and treating the employees with respect.

2. it has been okay feel like a number

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at NCR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the money is pretty good

Cons

the company is darn terrible

Advice to Management

promote your good people