There are newer employer reviews for NCR

A strong company focused on, and executing a re-invention

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at NCR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great portfolio
- Great people
- Unifying compny strategy focused on consumer transaction space
- Strong and focused leadership

Cons

- linking performance/bonus to reasonable goals
- operational support is weak

Advice to Management

sales cadence is critical but needs better operational support...keep listening to employees

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good ideas, bad execution.

Current Employee - Consultant in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at NCR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like my boss and the fact that he's flexible, allowing me to work from home one day a week. I like that I get to travel and do fun things like set up for, work at and tear down trade shows. I like the responsibilities that I have been given or have taken on.

Cons

The leadership is constantly in flux. No way to execute strategic vision with the nearly constant change so close to the top. We recently lost 2 EVPs within 2 weeks of each other. This speaks to instability and/or a culture war that is leading to severe brain drain.
    We have several products that overlap in functionality but nobody is driving the consolidation, go to market strategy, internal adoption or external implementation of these tools.
    We have a hardware shipping issue with our Columbus plant that has caused many of our clients to abandon doing business with NCR directly, paying higher prices for reliable service.
    NCR likes to say that "We make everyday easier" Not sure exactly who is the beneficiary of this philosophy but I can tell you it's not employees. NCR makes every day a challenge to get things done with it's bloat. We need fewer people with bigger visions and better strategies. If it's not easier internally it won't be easier externally either.
    Goals are impossible to achieve. Recently there was an e-mail showing red, yellow or green dots based on whether goal vs plan was made. There were only 2 green where goal and plan were achieved. Most were yellow indicating goal but not plan was achieved. A few fell in the red zone which were misses on both fronts.. This tells me that goals are not difficult, but impossible to achieve. It's time to re-evaluate goal vs plan and bring the numbers down to a stretch, not a space shuttle ride to achieve.

Advice to Management

Realign according to product, not LOB.
    BUY A BUILDING AND MOVE THE ENTIRE ATLANTA AREA STAFF TO ONE LOCATION. GET MORE SPACE. It's ridiculous how small workspace is.

One Hand Has no Idea What the Other Hand is Doing. Especially for the CE's.

Former Employee - CE II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - CE II in Denver, CO

I worked at NCR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't many. I guess the best would be you're "considered your own boss but you always answer to 2 or 3 different people. You do get to spend a lot of time outside, as in driving for miles on end, everyday of the week because you don't get many off.

Cons

Wow, where to start. How about Supervisors who don't take vehicles out of employees names for years after that employee stopped using that vehicle and the employee starts getting parking tickets and toll violations and speeding tickets for his old vehicle that's still registered to him but he hasn't driven in years.!!!! Never having a weekend off. 5 weekends a year when you have 10 people on your crew doesn't work out very well, learn how to make a schedule. Give your people some down time. This is a job, not a lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Management? Get rid of them all and start over. How this company has stayed in business for over 120 years is unbelievable. Mis-managed, micro-managed, not managed.