There are newer employer reviews for NCsoft

If only they didn't believe that pigs could fly..

Current Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at NCsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Almost free lunches. Some of the community.

Cons

Immediate ''fire you now'' reaction. An itchy finger to redlight certain games that are not making the cut and currently that involves all Western influenced MMOs. I can tell you that even with knowledge of the business, finances, NDA disclosures, and how HQ runs it's still difficult to maintain an open connection with both my side and employees and theirs. Trying to get through to someone in Korea is like tapping a pencil on a manhole in New York during rush hour. You won't catch anyone's attention, and that's just the way it always has been. Honestly, being fluent in Korean doesn't much either as they detest foreigners with knowledge of their ''native'' tongue. Ridiculing our Office more than aiming to help. For anyone who is interested all I can say is don't be. Move on to a Western owned and Western run Company. NDA: NCSoft is going to be insourcing more so than outsourcing. You can expect the full shutdown of all NCSoft Western-Run/European Run Offices with in the next two years.

Advice to Management

After your meltdown please do not attempt to re-open to the United States. Stay in Korea. Thanks.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Working at NCsoft, was the closest I'll ever come to leaving the video game industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at NCsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're good at what you do, you'll be a rockstar, even if you work less than 40 hours a week. Competitive salaries for minimal work

Cons

Leadership in Korea does not trust America or Europe to make their own decisions, and as a result, the decisions made reflect what Korea leadership wants to see, and not what needs to happen for the benefit of players, or the business. There is no clear career path, because the company is restructured every other year. Having a good boss at NCsoft is like winning the lottery. Unfortunately, even if you win, your awesome boss will wise up or get laid off during your employment. The only culture that exists, is what employees make for themselves; however, with so much turnover, office culture changes frequently, and is often more of an "inner-circle" kind of experience. Benefits are not great. They are bare bones, and change a lot. When I was working there, I had to pay hundreds of dollars per month for my own parking spot Truly creative people are not treated well at NCsoft.

Advice to Management

To leadership in Korea: Get your hands out of the darn cookie jar and EMPOWER your employees. You've guaranteed the failure North America and Europe operations because of your bureaucratic, and unnecessary approach to a global business. What works in Korea, doesn't mean it will in other territories. Look at Riot Games for god sake. They empower their Korean HQ to make their own decisions, and they are frequently different than the ones made in America. While they flourish in multiple territories, you're only truly successful in Korea, and even there, you haven't lived up to your potential in years.

Extremely poor management. The worst I have ever had in fact.

Former Employee - Operations in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Austin, TX

I worked at NCsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Other than it being a video game company. None really

Cons

Management! The US operations is always afraid of what HQ wants, so they make rash hiring decisions, especially bringing deadbeat directors that have been let go from other electronic studios.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to constantly change or micromanage. If you want to do it the HQ way then bring over HQ management. Bringing in washout from other electronic studios makes it much worse.