There are newer employer reviews for NHS Human Services

Stable company to work for with good job security

Former Employee - Fee for Service Therapist  in  Sharon Hill, PA
Former Employee - Fee for Service Therapist in Sharon Hill, PA

I worked at NHS Human Services part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule
A lot of dedicated employees/clinicians
Strong upper management team
Great place to learn and "get your feet wet" as a therapist
There is always work available and the agency is always expanding

Cons

Everyone is overworked (especially supervisors)
Low pay
Constant changes to processes being made without proper training/follow-through
Low morale in the work environment
Poor communication between upper management and direct care staff
Lots of turn-over

Better compensating and communication between management and staff may lead to better retention.

52 Other Employee Reviews for NHS Human Services (View Most Recent)

It has been a great learning experience, but there is no room for growth, little training, and poor supervision.

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at NHS Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility - You can flex your time, work 5 hours one day and 10 another, or come in from 10-6 or 7-3, whatever floats your boat.
    Management seems to take employee concerns somewhat seriously...sometimes. Probably more than at other places, but I think we get a little spoiled and complain about this issue a lot.
    Coworkers can be great
    Management gives you chances to mess up.
    Incentive - If you bill high enough, you'll earn a ( very highly taxed) bonus in your check

Cons

Low pay
    Little support at times, sometimes there's a "figure it out" mentality
    Lack of consistency - one supervisor will tell you one thing, and another will tell you something totally different 5 minutes later...literally
    Billing first, people later - sometimes it feels like all they care about is how much you bill, not what you're doing for your consumers

Train us more - give us more knowledge about resources. Train us about relevant things like insurance and how insurances WORK, since most of our clients come to us with issues like this. Alleviate some of the pressure from our direct supervisors so they can SUPERVISE US. Also, stop hiring supervisors who haven't been case managers for quite some time. I'd rather have a supervisor who started before I did, duh.

A poorly managed company

Current Employee - Direct Care Worker  in  Ebensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Worker in Ebensburg, PA

I have been working at NHS Human Services for less than a year

Pros

It is better than no job. And usually you can pick up extra shifts, because employee turnover is so high.

Cons

The company seems to value satisfying state requirements more than patient safety, We had to take them on outing in the worst snowstorms of the season.(because the state wants it).

Extremely low pay for the amount of work, and decisions that have to be made 8.25 hr. That is if you are in a permanent position. As needed positions pay considerably higher, but they expect you to be available all the time.

There is no leadership for the individual houses, they do have someone they call a house coordinator , but you cannot call them to ask questions about how things should be done at this particular house. The on call coordinator is to be called for call offs only. A bad point if you are new. So if you make a decision and it is not the one they would have made you are in trouble.

There is a benefit package, but the company pays no portion of the premiums.

There is a union of some sort but it obviously is very ineffectual. When I have ask about things like workman's comp., vacations , and paid time off, no one seems to know anything.

You should have one person scheduled with each new person for one week, from each house they will be working at, to be one on one, instead of just throwing them into this position of no guidance. The training you give does not come close to showing the realities of working in the houses.

Pay some portion of the benefits package.

And in my particular zone, serious revamping needs to be done with the base office staff. There is far to much horseplay, parties, practical jokes going on, and not enough leadership, or guidance for the houses.

And have someone available from each house to answer questions after hours. Having someone from the office does no good. They have no idea what the houses are really like. It is my understanding they are to come to the house and spend time, and they do, but they do not actually assist with the running of the house. They come when the consumers are out of the house, and when they are there, they just do the paperwork and phone calls they would do at the office. There is no leadership here, no teamwork from the top down.

There are newer employer reviews for NHS Human Services

Worked for NHS Human Services? Contribute to the Community!