NIH
www.nih.gov Bethesda, MD 5000+ Employees

Good place to conduct research but be aware of isolation

Research Fellow (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

Pros1. Good exposure to many different areas of biomedical research.
2. Offer many opportunities to interact with fellows and PI (but one needs to be more outgoing, "step out of the comfort zone".
3. Still not too constrained by budget restrictions although money has become tighter and tigher.

Cons1. Bureaucracy is slowly killing off the good joy of doing science. Nowadays, support personel (secretary, office manager, HR) has become your boss. More and more rules are put in place to restrict reagent purchase, travel, etc.
2. Strangely, one can feel very isolated in this place. A lot of internal bickering, elbowing can be seen in many groups. One needs to step out of his group, interact with other labs to fully benefit the opportunities, otherwise, you can be left in your own corner. Speak up, step out to get help, no one will come to you willingly to provide help.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of the support personel (office/lab managers, HR, etc.). Use the money to hire more research personel (fellows, post-docs, staff scientists). Get rid of the ridiculous time limit one can spend as research fellow, or visiting fellow.

the biggest biomedical research institute of USA

Research Fellow (Former Employee)

I worked at NIH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: good environment of research and colleage Cons: very easily traffic commute environment Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent place for post PhD experienc

Visiting Fellow (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than a year

Pros: * Good work life balance * Excellent research funding and exposure to world renowned scientists * Numerous opportunities to… Cons: * Disparity between postdoctoral salaries in different institutes in high. * Limited internship and permanent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on NIH.

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIH reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NIH CEO Francis S. Collins. All reviews posted anonymously by NIH employees.