NIH

www.nih.gov

NIH -- Making a difference

ProsThe people who choose to work at NIH do it because they care about creating new medical knowledge that advances human health. They have the right values and believe that they are making a difference -- which turns out to be true. They are.

ConsIn the current political climate, congressional support for all basic research and science has been on the decline, which is causing painful choices about what can be supported within NIH. Also, DHHS rules, especially around travel, make it hard to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe role of leadership is critical in these challenging times. Institute directors need to be much more visible and supportive as their staffs struggle to adjust to current changes. Clear planning is needed when deciding priorities in the face of scare resources.

Worked with patient data to determine root causes of undiagnosed diseases.

Intern (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

I worked at NIH as an intern for less than a year

Pros: You are exposed to the most advanced research facilities available to scientists. As such, NIH attracts many… Cons: As with any research facility, there are times when not too much… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I've been at NIH for a little more than a year

Contract Specialist (Current Employee) North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at NIH full-time for more than a year

Pros: The mission is fantastic. Lots of smart people doing great work to better the world. The work/life balance, as well as the ability to… Cons: Some buildings aren't on campus and feel quite disconnected. My job can be quite boring and often not very challenging. Many of the same normal… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to progress and avoid doing things just because it's been 'done that way for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on NIH.

Worked for NIH? Contribute to the Community!