NIKE

There are newer employer reviews for NIKE

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Beaverton, OR
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

Good people, good benefits, great place to work.

Cons

Slightly short sighted regarding competition.

Great job, just remember that not everyone in the world is a Nike person.

868 Other Employee Reviews for NIKE (View Most Recent)

Great Employees, Incompetent Leaders

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE

Pros

All the non-work parts of "working" at Nike are great! Flexible hours, beautiful campus, great workout facilities, lots of opportunity for social interaction (e.g. happy hours, sports teams, on-campus events, volunteer days). Most of the people that work there are passionate and competent.

Cons

Management is pathetic. When I was promoted to a management role (without any consideration for my people management skills), I received zero training and support from HR or my own supervisor. I was allowed/forced to wallow and fail. I think I could be a better manager with more focused and dedicated development and support. My experience must be typical because every manager I had at Nike (6 in 6 years) was a horrible and incompetent leader. However, the blame is with HR and the corporate leadership to allow lousy managers to be retained and even promoted.

Practice what you preach. Nike has 11 Maxims, but I can personally provide dozens of examples where leaders have violated each of them, repeatedly. Nike was built on passion, innovation, and trust (remember that handshake between Bill and Phil?), but has very quickly destroyed the special Nike culture to save some short-term costs and put up the smoke and mirrors for Wall Street.

No chance for career advancement/cronyism

Former Employee - Production Artist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Great benefits, campus, gym and fairly relaxed working conditions. Generally good people to work around.

Cons

A lot of cronyism. Career advancement and huge salaries for fashion designers, not so much the people that are there to support/work in partnership with them. You have to come into Nike at a place where you can be happy with for the rest of your life, because the reality is you could possibly never get promoted. Management is incompetent, all around a very clique-ish environment. A lot of 'we're the cool guys' mentality, that is annoying and juvenile(not to mention undeserved!).

They have been doing 're-orgs' for years now, and it has dropped morale to rock bottom levels, and they let go or pushed out a lot of talented, competent people due to mismanagement and lack of opportunities. For all their bluster, the stuff coming out of this place style wise is not very good...just backed by an incredible hype machine.

Fire yourselves or create a management training system. Some people may be talented or good at politics, but that does not make them good managers.

There are newer employer reviews for NIKE