There are newer employer reviews for NJVC

It wasn't all bad; but then again...

Current Employee - Trainer in Vienna, VA
Current Employee - Trainer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at NJVC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were some awesome people at the company that were passionate about their projects and made work challenging (in a good way) and enjoyable. Although I worked in HR, I was still able to learn a lot from the different departments and broaden my knowledge base.

Cons

There were some in management that were too self-involved and elitist to recognize talent outside of their own social circle and have done much to contribute to low morale. Definitely a good ol' boys club. The only thing missing are the mint juleps. The HR Department probably needs its own HR.

People don't leave good companies; they leave bad management. There is a lot of talent just waiting to be recognized, appreciated, and properly utilized.

58 Other Employee Reviews for NJVC (View Most Recent)

A study in contrasts, NJVC has some of the best and some of the worst staff I've ever encountered.

I worked at NJVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible program staff. Some of the finest technologists I've ever had the pleasure of working with on their prime contract. Senior leadership on the prime contract is outstanding. Opportunities for growth on the prime contract are equally strong.

Cons

Oh man, where to begin. Let's first examine the prime contract. NJVC exists due to the non-competed award of a multi-billion dollar exclusive contract from the Federal gov. Others have gone into this in detail so I will not, but suffice to say that this set the culture right up front. NJVC's corp management is clueless as to how to win new business. Be careful to separate program management form corporate management. The prime contract is managed by outstanding folks who work their fingers to the bone. The corporate management is just a gaggle of clueless sycophants who are slowly killing the golden goose. Many of them know exactly what they're doing and are simply riding the prime contract until the money dries up. Many talented managers and staff from the program side have crossed over to the corporate side thinking that they can make a change and win new business. Sadly, they have gotten chewed up by the machine that is corporate culture and either left, become assimilated or are dying a slow and painful death. As is often the case with companies in this situation, senior corporate management wastes tens of millions of dollars on new initiatives, re-orgs, platform roll-outs and such that are claimed to re-invent the company only to have them predictably zero positive outcome. NJVC was originally intended to be a shell company that was to live only as long as the exclusive contract they won. Ultimately I believe that is precisely what they will be. They've only a couple of years left on their contract. If you're looking at working for NJVC on their prime contract, I recommend them. Again, the folks you'll work with on program are great and you'll learn a lot. Even when the contract ends, you'll be able to jump to another contract at the same customer. If you're looking at joining NJVC to work at corp, I cannot recommend strongly enough against it. One final note no the program side of the business. As is the case with most companies, there are a lot of really smart and talented technical staff. A natural result of this concentration of talent is the breeding of prima-donna mentality. One of the only down-sides on the program is that this culture is not dealt with and in fact this negative cultural element is in fact fostered. While it is inadvertent and could be fixed, program management does nothing about it for fear of losing talented individuals. As a result this problem is becoming really severe. New staff tend to learn the hard way when they have a run-in with one of these difficult folks. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but it can make things very inefficient when you constantly have to coddle a senior engineer in order to get him/her to do their job or get you the information you need. In addition, as corporate becomes more desperate for new revenue sources they are tapping the best talent on the program for assistance. As a result, these folks are getting a real view of just how messed up things are and they're leaving. This exodus has really begun to pick up steam in the last 8 months and as a result the program is hemorrhaging talent. Predictably, the less talented folks will ride things out to the end as the best and brightest will jump ship early. As strong as the program is, you could find yourself surrounded by under-performers before long and having to pick up the slack.

Failed business units should be shut down. Investments should undergo much greater scrutiny. Ultimately the parent company needs to step in and take the reins before things fall apart ahead of the end of the prime contract.

Like living in a Dilbert comic

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at NJVC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The combination of low stress and low expectations balances well with the low salaries. The people are really really nice. Nicest I have ever worked with. People smile at you in the hallways! Also, the chairs are comfortable for sleeping, based on what I see on other floors.

Cons

You have to remember that this company was born from a Ted Stevens pork project. A contract was given to alaskan natives who THEN created a company to do the work. Since the money was basically forced upon them, there was no culture of having to earn it. This culture, combined with the low pay scale basically attracts the type of people who interviewed with BAH, IBM and Accenture but never got a call back. To be fair, that only describes about half of the employees and most of the managers. The rest are top-flight people, and are critically important to the mission, bacause they take up the slack for the deadwood in the next cubicle. Examples? There are alot of people that are "managers" but don't have any direct reports. If all you manage is a process, you are not a manager. So why are you wearing a tie? The HQ building, less than a year old, is falling apart. Every aspect of its design, including the desks, were clearly done on the cheap. I think the cubicle furniture was actually designed to enhance the sounds of coworkers clipping their fingernails and using the speakerphone to listen to voicemail. As a consequence, nearly ever day You can hear someone drop an f-bomb or say something WILDLY inappropriate. This is the first place I have worked that I would not want to bring my younger kids.

Snap the whip. Have an chat with the slackers. Send out an email reinforcing the rules for office behavior. When I hear people using words like"retards" in a loud voice, there is clearly a problem.

There are newer employer reviews for NJVC