NORC at the University of Chicago

www.norc.org
  www.norc.org
There are newer employer reviews for NORC at the University of Chicago

A fine place to develop skills.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Data driven, flexible timing for work. This is a supportive environment for young survey researchers and data analysts. There are lots of opportunities for learning on and off the job.

Cons

The compensation for part time researchers is generally poor. However, the benefits of being at a huge and well-known survey firm make it worth the cost.

It can be hard to work with the close proximity of phone-driven business personel with the quieter tasks of analysis and design.

73 Other Employee Reviews for NORC at the University of Chicago (View Most Recent)

Poor pay, poor training, poor support on the production floor.

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job to get hired for.... if you want to work less than 20 hours a week ....this is the place for you.

Cons

Very much like the KMart of survey research. Emphasis on reading the script but no real explanation as to what is in the questionaire itself. Very anonymous culture with no team spirit. The production floor supervisors work odd hours and many of them do not know your project. Hours are unpredictable and inconsistent week to week. You might work until 11PM and then have to get back at 9:00 AM the next day.

Treat your production floor people with respect. Do a study of your own employees to find out how to improve conditions.

Since when is minimum wage competitive?!?

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Chicago, IL

I worked at NORC at the University of Chicago part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and convenient location downtown, across the street from my favorite store H&M (not that I was paid enough to go shopping) and close to the train. If you can read they will hire you.

Cons

They lie to you in the job ad, saying that their pay is sooooo competitive. Then when you get to the training class they tell you that you'll be making $8.25/hr. What the heck is competitive about minimum wage?!?! That is just insulting! And the way HR came in the room and told us this as if we had won the lottery made it even worse!

I previously worked at another market research company where I held the same exact title. At that company you began at minimum wage, but got $1/hr more for working on weekends, plus an extra $1.50 bonus on top of that if you were a top performer, so if you were good at your job you could easily make between $9.75 and $12.25/hr. Not at NORC. It doesn't matter what you do, how productive you are, or how many years of experience you have calling and harassing people to do phone surveys, minimum wage is all you will ever be worthy of. And to make it even worse, when I was first hired they were only offering a maximum of 28 hrs/week.

Something else I found utterly ridiculous was their break policy. Most of the shifts are very short (4-6 hrs) so there is no standard lunch break. Instead you are allotted a certain number of minutes of "discretionary time" based upon how many hours you are scheduled. If you have to use the bathroom during your shift you must use your dt. I know they want to make sure employees are productive, but come on we are all adults. There is no reason why I should have to change my whole pay code just for a quick run to the ladies room.

Turnover rate is VERY high which is why they do mass group interviews (16 ppl at mine) where everyone who can correctly say "specific" NOT "pacific" gets the job.

Give your employees some credit and treat them with respect. Pay them what they deserve. Or at least be honest and stop posting these misleading advertisements online. Competitive pay for this type of work would be at least $10/hr and I know a "prestigious institution" like the University of Chicago can afford it.

There are newer employer reviews for NORC at the University of Chicago