NPR

There are newer employer reviews for NPR

Summer news intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

All the staff are very nice to their interns, because all of them were interns at some point. Although you can't do anything for the air, the people do their best to let you learn everything you would do if you were working there full time. Besides, it's NPR!

Cons

You need to come prepared to work in a newsroom if you're applying for a position at one of the news shows. That means there are slow news days, when you won't have much to do.

68 Other Employee Reviews for NPR (View Most Recent)

Good Company, with some issues...but it's normal

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

loved the people and the intelligently creative atmosphere fostered by the employees. Everyone is uniquely qualified in his or her own field but the collaborativeness that permeates the culture is unmatched. Great benefits, generous leave and my supervisor who is now retired was great!

Cons

this is a media company who caterers primarily to the journalist profession. Not much growth potential for other professional disciplines but that's to be somewhat expected. Too many Execs and Senior VPs and middle mgmt and below suffers when cutbacks are unavoidable. Performance review process is strictly biased. If your supervisor has personal issues w/ you, your review is rated low thus, decreasing the amount of increase you get.

NPR Internship

Former Employee - Reporting Intern in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Reporting Intern in Olympia, WA

I worked at NPR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was welcomed as if a fellow journalist, despite being a ruddy 21-year-old with sparse (mostly college radio) experience. The journalists I worked with gave me all the technical know-how necessary as well as connections to what had seemed an impenetrable field.

Cons

There were expectations of decor and inflexible working hours that contrasted sharply with the seemingly carefree environment.

I love the flexibility of the office space and the eagerness of the radio journalists I encountered to share the ins and outs of the business. I hope all internships resemble mine, notwithstanding the arbitrary dress.

There are newer employer reviews for NPR