NPR

www.npr.org
  www.npr.org
There are newer employer reviews for NPR

Amazing opportunity, wish I could have stayed

Former Employee - Multimedia Intern in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Multimedia Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at NPR as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best working environments I've been in! Fantastic co-workers with a lot of knowledge and willingness to share career advice. It does pay unlike a lot of media internships. I was treated like a full-time employee, not an intern. I was given real work -- no fetching coffee!

The coffee machines in the kitchens are a lifesaver.

It's NPR!

Cons

The monthly stipend is pretty bad, which made it difficult to find housing for the internship period. I also worked way more than 40 hours a week, which could be a pro or con to some, but I wish I was paid overtime (your stipend stays the same no matter how many hours you put in.)

Wish I had opportunities for employment at the end of the internship. Don't expect a job at the end.

Hire more interns! We dedicate an enormous amount of time and energy to the company. I just wish interns had the opportunity to move up instead of heading to another company praying for a job.

67 Other Employee Reviews for NPR (View Most Recent)

A convenient place to work.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at NPR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creative people. Great location. Fair work-life balance, good time-off policies. Chance to see good entertainment. The top tier of management is compensated very well and there are a lot of them.

Cons

Poor management, lay-offs every few years.

Lead by example. At least pretend you care about your people.

Great co-workers; disappointing upper management

I worked at NPR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Filled with kind, creative, intelligent people to work with. Fantastic culture. Most people are fairly supportive. Work-life balance depends on where you're land in the organization - some shows and divisions have a healthy appreciation for work/life. Same goes for career growth and compensation. For the most part, people have a positive reaction when they learn you work at NPR.

Cons

Given they pay significantly less than other similar industry jobs, executives are either under-qualified or don't have many other opportunities available (obviously there are some exceptions but many of those people have been marginalized, retired or shoved out the door). Definitely impacted by financial and auto industries bottoming out but plenty of poor decision making inside the organization will leave NPR and the public radio system hurting for years (so many talented people across the board lost in several rounds of RIFs). Terrible communication between divisions (maybe this has improved by getting everyone under one roof at HQ but at one point they had three different buildings with various levels of restricted access to navigate within two blocks of each other). When outside people find out you work at NPR, they might hold you personally responsible for Bob Edwards firing.

There are newer employer reviews for NPR