Great people, poor opportunities

Former Employee - Analyst in Larkspur, CA
Former Employee - Analyst in Larkspur, CA

I worked at NRG Energy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent teams, fantastic spirit, decent access to higher management for communication. The office culture is fantastic, and the management is well put together.

Cons

Poor exit opportunities, terrible cross-department communication, slow deadlines and plenty of dead weight. There are better opportunities for talent.

Advice to Management

none

Other Employee Reviews for NRG Energy

Sincerely Depends on the Group You Work In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at NRG Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smartest people I have ever worked with - Good pay - Changing company in a strong industry - Can drive change in the organization

Cons

It really comes down to one thing ---- Zero work/life balance. Don't take the below comments as a 'rant', but as genuine honesty. I am a happy employee, but there is even so much I can take before I burn out and am forced to find a job elsewhere. Working weekends, and at an absolute minimum availability to work on the weekends, is expected. When you are on vacation/PTO you are expected to do work if needed (means your blackberry and laptop are always with you). This of course depends on the group you end up in, however any finance-related role other than trading.....good luck. - I know many people who have had at most 2 weekends completely off in the last 6 months. Its unfortunate because its a great company in every way except for one critical deficiency: "your personal live is secondary, and if you feel otherwise then get a new job" is the mentality. This overshadows employee morale. To be honest, and I am sure most employees at NRG feel this way, I wonder why I don't go into investment banking or management consulting. Like all NRG employees, I am definitely smart enough, work the same amount of hours, and despite the good pay I could make more elsewhere....food for thought, right?

Advice to Management

Realize that just saying "Good Job" is not enough to keep up employee morale. The pay is great, benefits are pretty good, and the free food is a nice perk, however this does not correct the fact that no one who works here feels that its OK to have any non-work related activities. I don't want to feel guilty to spend time with my kids, or be able to relax on the weekends, or to take PTO, yet the managerial culture and workload make us feel this way. Create a culture that cares about employee morale, and enforce it. Otherwise wait and see the mass exodus that will come as all your employees burn out, myself included.

2. Solid company but low-energy environment.

Pros

Nice office in Houston, professional work environment for the most part.

Cons

Low-energy environment. On-boarding process was very limited.