Great

Former Intern - Engineer
Former Intern - Engineer

I worked at NSA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship experience. They keep you busy all summer. They're interested and eager to help and train you so that you can do your job correctly. Great government benefits.

Cons

Lower salary than other companies. It may be viewed that the contractors do all the work.

Other Employee Reviews for NSA

Job security but you're stuck in bureaucracy

Pros

Job security is execellent. You REALLY have to screw the pooch to get fired. Decent benefits, and decent work/life balance.

Cons

Bureaucracy, bureaucracy, and bureaucracy. Also, other agencies that have information aren't necessarily willing to share it, which may be frustrating. Also, there's the stereotype that Government employees are lazy; that's not absolutely true, but the stereotype exists because there really ARE a lot of lazy bums that are "retired in place" or just don't feel like lifting a finger and just want to collect their paycheck. Some management that is clueless and was placed in management to get out of someone else's way, which hurts if you're stuck working under that incompetent manager.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings; why? Those of us who are technical cannot get our work done if we're constantly being pulled into meetings are an hour (or more) a day! I'd say that working for the Gov't is way too political; but I've been in private industry and understand the politics are just about everywhere.

Lifestyle Choice

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Pretty lax environment, a lot of friendly mid-level workers Depending on specialization of field cool work and training opportunities and compensation For people without advanced degrees good pay

Cons

Terrible Management. I doubt most of management know their workers when they are managing 100s of people and multiple positions. You really have to be within someone's social network to be noticed. If you're young, and motivated looking for a highly energized job full of rewards and promotion I would not recommend this place. People do not get promoted and the office structure will be the same no matter when you come in. You see co-workers who contribute nothing getting rewarded equally if not better than you. A lot of bureaucracy and passive aggressive personalities in positions of power without ANY checks on them. Think hard if you commit yourself to this.

Advice to Management

Here's a riddle, I process 12 queries a day, the senior "mentor" next to me does 3, why does she get paid more again?