NSA
www.nsa.gov Fort George G. Meade, MD

The Big Leagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Odenton, MD

I worked at NSA full-time for more than a year

ProsThe NSA is a true professional organization. Their body of work largly speaks for itself and is the reason that they dominate when funding is appropriated for defense purposes. If you are or want to become an expert in your field of study, the NSA has great opportunities.

ConsThe massive bureaucracy present in any large organization is also a part of the NSA. Paperwork is typically an additional duty of most employees, so be prepared for it. The NSA pays competitively but often the salary does not reflect the extremely high cost of living at certain locations, namely the D.C. Metro Area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's more difficult to operate efficiently if the American people don't trust you. The NSA needs to become as transparent as possible to really get back in the game. Paying for a top-notch PR team wouldn't hurt either.

Process driven, not goal driven

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at NSA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Access to world-class technology. A lot of bright people (in the science and… Cons: Very low quality workforce overall. At times NSA employment feels like welfare for ex-military who couldn't get better jobs. Moreover, because there are too many… Advice to Senior Management: Reduce the size of the workforce by about a quarter. Weed out stagnation. Push… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It depends.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at NSA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Interesting problem domain. Opportunities for travel. It's also very easy to leave work at work,… Cons: Below-market compensation for high-tech careers. Slow advancement for everybody. No cost-of-living adjustments in 2011 or 2012. The federal political gridlock… Advice to Senior Management: In general, try to avoid hit-and-run style management: swooping in on someone once or twice a year… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on NSA.

Worked for NSA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NSA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NSA CEO General Keith B. Alexander. All reviews posted anonymously by NSA employees.