NSA

www.nsa.gov
  www.nsa.gov
There are newer employer reviews for NSA

Great place to work, but it depends on the office and your goals.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at NSA

Pros

1. Opportunities to broaden career by working in other offices.
2. Employees on a "technical track" are financially compensated on par, if not above, managers.

Cons

1. Middle management is sometimes pulled from the technical ranks but not effectively trained on how to manage their employees.
2. Speaking of management, some offices are still operating from a paradigm suited to an older generation, which is at odds with recent, younger college graduates.

1. Hire college graduates and experienced individuals with technical management backgrounds. Don't worry! They'll learn the government acronyms and technical matters.
2. Improve recruiting efforts to attract, but more importantly, to retain college graduates.

30 Other Employee Reviews for NSA (View Most Recent)

NSA Good Place To Work...If You Are In It For The Long Hall

Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at NSA

Pros

The flexibility in your work schedule was insane. Everyone enjoys having a good leave program and enjoys using it. The work is also something you could never do anywhere else. It is extremely exciting work and you do feel like the work you do matters.

Cons

It's a big beurocratic mess. As such, promotions can be a nightmare. In my instance, the person who was deciding if I should get a promotion was my bosses bosses boss and they were managing 200+ people and hardly knew my name. Salary also doesn't move up very fast. Although, if you can hold put until you get to the upper ranks; you will have a good salary for your level of responsibility.

The organization must become more flexible. Pay banding is a good start, but there also needs to be a way for employees who do not perform to be punished. I think the biggest complaint I heard was people frustrated with coworkers who didn't do anything, made more work for everyone else, and were never reprimanded.

Great

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at NSA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great internship experience. They keep you busy all summer. They're interested and eager to help and train you so that you can do your job correctly. Great government benefits.

Cons

Lower salary than other companies. It may be viewed that the contractors do all the work.

There are newer employer reviews for NSA