NSA

Lifestyle Choice

Former Employee - Intern
Former Employee - Intern

I worked at NSA

Pros

Pretty lax environment, a lot of friendly mid-level workers
Depending on specialization of field cool work and training opportunities and compensation
For people without advanced degrees good pay

Cons

Terrible Management. I doubt most of management know their workers when they are managing 100s of people and multiple positions. You really have to be within someone's social network to be noticed.
If you're young, and motivated looking for a highly energized job full of rewards and promotion I would not recommend this place. People do not get promoted and the office structure will be the same no matter when you come in. You see co-workers who contribute nothing getting rewarded equally if not better than you. A lot of bureaucracy and passive aggressive personalities in positions of power without ANY checks on them. Think hard if you commit yourself to this.

Here's a riddle, I process 12 queries a day, the senior "mentor" next to me does 3, why does she get paid more again?

32 Other Employee Reviews for NSA (View Most Recent)

Great hours, great work-life balance, and interesting projects. Poor job satisfaction.

Former Employee - Project Management
    Former Employee - Project Management

I worked at NSA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- work-life-balance
    - benefits
    - locations
    - community environment

Cons

- job satisfaction
    - you tend to feel like a government slug
    - not being able to discuss your job out side of work

Government at its worst...

I have been working at NSA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unique mission, occasionally intellectually stimulating, diverse workforce, travel opportunities, career changes available and encouraged if you're not happy with your current tract.

Cons

Terrible pay for anyone that doesn't play "the game", few promotions, fewer awards, little recognition, poor moral (and declining since 2009), bad management, inefficient government processes, dirty politics (internal and from executive), death by a million cuts from just a generally lousy working environment.

Stop paying attention to the GS 13+ and listen to your 12's and lower. They do the work. Put leadership through leadership training and take care of your work horses. Find a way to enable the removal of bad apples - too much red tape prohibits the removal of non-performers that drag the rest of the organizations down.

There are newer employer reviews for NSA