There are newer employer reviews for NSSED

The experience of working in a classroom with special ed pre school children is very rewarding!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Park, IL

I have been working at NSSED

Pros

Best reason to work at NSSED is the children, you can't help but fall in love. I am a classroom assistant in a special ed pre school. Every single year there are new kids with new issues!

Cons

The biggest down side is the pay! You have to work for years to see any increase in your pay.
I believe its a 1% increase per year! Other downsides could be dirty diapers, kids spitting or coughing on you, or rarley getting bit!

My advise to management would be to offer bonuses yearly for a job well done. Or even just acknowledge someone for there work above and beyond there job description.

2 Other Employee Reviews for NSSED (View Most Recent)

Experience totally depends on the team

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Highland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Highland Park, IL

I have been working at NSSED full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy helping special needs kids learn and maximize their potential. Seeing their faces light up when they understand something makes everything else worthwhile.

Cons

The administration shows no respect for the TAs. It appears that to them we are all just interchangeable warm bodies. Nobody at the administrative level takes the time or cares to learn about our strengths, weaknesses, or what makes us tick. Layoffs happen every year, but they are done in a haphazard way and often the employment contract is ignored.

Take the time to get to know the people that work for you. Try to make annual placements a win-win. Follow the terms of the contract.

There are newer employer reviews for NSSED