There are newer employer reviews for NSTAR

Great Place to work

Current Intern - Grad Intern in Westwood, MA
Current Intern - Grad Intern in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, friendly and helping

Cons

Too far from the city

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job. If you can increase the sponsorhips, it would be a great chance

reviews filtered by

Good Compensation…..Great Career Development….Excellent People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a “millennial” coming out of college I was apprehensive of joining NSTAR being that they were known for their “traditional nature”. But since Google or Facebook wasn’t knocking at my door, I thought I’d give this company a shot.

Two years later…… I’ve received a great opportunity to move up within my department, learned a wealth of knowledge from an excellent group of experienced co-workers and managers and couldn’t be happier with my decision!

•Compensation – In my opinion, NSTAR’s pay is above market average. I’m not a compensation expert, but from my own research looking at similar jobs and companies in the Northeast, it seems fairly generous.

•Career Development – NSTAR does a great job of developing their talent. Opportunities are there to be had; young job seekers should take notice!

•People – Best part of NSTAR is the people. I know this may differ between departments, but the company culture and atmosphere really seems to foster a positive, respectful work environment.

Cons

•Distance – Personally coming from Rhode Island, the commute isn’t ideal. But the Westwood office does have a commuter train within a mile (Route 128), which is very convenient. They also provide free cab service to and from the train station. For those trying go green, this is a great perk!

•Surrounding Developments- Currently I work in an industrial park. And while this may seems like a silly complaint, there are building developments being constructed at the bottom of the Westwood office hill. According to the Globe, they are planning to build a “Target”, “Nordstrom’s Rack”, “Wegmans”… hotels, restaurants etc. Not sure if having easy access to these establishments will be good for my wallet!

Advice to Management

If Tom May were sitting in front of me right now I’d thank him for the great job he’s done with the merger of NU. I am proud to say that I now work for a “Fortune 500 Company”! If anything else, it just adds merit to your resume if working here.

2. Stable position with not much help furthering my career

Former Intern - Environmental Affairs Intern in Westwood, MA
    Former Intern - Environmental Affairs Intern in Westwood, MA

I worked at NSTAR as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Large company with very stable work as a public utility.
    Salary very favorable when compared with other intern positions around Boston.
    Many job opportunities for electrical and transmission engineers.

Cons

Small departments with not enough guidance from more senior engineers.
    Even though company was busy, not much work distributed to interns.

Advice to Management

Management and higher levels seem totally separated from the lower level employees such as myself at the time.

There are newer employer reviews for NSTAR