There are newer employer reviews for NSU (Nova Southeastern University)

Nova

Current Employee - ESS  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - ESS in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at NSU (Nova Southeastern University) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great enviorment and learning institution, if you are pursuing a degree the tuition reimbursement is a plus, time off is very generous

Cons

Salaries are low for the industry, benefits are good except that medical is very expensive, Very little opportunity for advancement, even internally

Consider better pay, new medical coverage and provide advancement/training opportunities for current loyal employees who want to remain with the university

76 Other Employee Reviews for NSU (Nova Southeastern University) (View Most Recent)

adminstrative

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at NSU (Nova Southeastern University) as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

opportunities, nice place to work

Cons

separation between management and senior management

help with promoting

Great company for South Florida, but going through growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

I have been working at NSU (Nova Southeastern University)

Pros

- NSU is one of the better companies to work for in the South Florida area as far as work environment, job stability, and pay for people who are NOT in healthcare.
    - Management is very flexible about work-life balance in most departments that I can think of.
    - The benefit package (health care, retirement matching plan) is pretty good, much better than what I believe most South Florida companies are offering.
    - Tuition waiver is great, although I believe they changed some of the rules on that. I still think it's great because NSU offer flexibility in taking many classes online or on the weekends, so it doesn't take away from work hours.
    - The work environment is pleasant, not stuffy. I find the fellow employees easy to work with in general and the middle managers easy to reach out to.

Cons

- While NSU is better than most non-healthcare companies, it is still typical of many companies in the South Florida area in that the pay doesn't match up to the cost of living of the area. The benefits are great, no doubt, but they don't pay the rent.
    - Again, typical of many South Florida companies, there are not many "middle-range" jobs and therefore not many opportunities for professional growth. Some position requests masters degrees at a pay scale that a typical bachelor degree holder could easily get in another state. However, if you are someone with 10+ years and multiple degrees under your belt, NSU is great -- just not as great for a new college grad or a mid-level professional.
    - NSU does give out a lot of employee surveys and tries to solve minor employee issues quickly, however they seem to avoid or circumvent larger employee complaints.

Overall I think NSU is a great institution to work for in this region. Every company has its politics and every company has a few points it needs to continuously work on, so I don't hold that against NSU. I think the new President is enthusiastic, and a great change from the previous leadership who did OK. I think if this President keeps doing what he is doing, then I believe the university is going to do very well!

I think some of the issues that NSU have aren't exactly unique to NSU (low compensation for the education and experience requested, little professional growth/middle-range opportunities) -- it's a South Florida job market problem. This has always been the tradeoff for living in Florida. Companies here get away with low compensation because of the state attitude towards businesses and the dismal labor market pool (not enough educated, non-health professionals -- most of them leave for other states leaving people who WILL work for nothing because they don't have a choice or because they don't want to give up the warm weather). As long as NSU competes only with South Florida companies, then those issues aren't going away.

There are newer employer reviews for NSU (Nova Southeastern University)

Worked for NSU (Nova Southeastern University)? Contribute to the Community!