There are newer employer reviews for NVIDIA

Excellent workplace, Pay and Location

I have been working at NVIDIA as an intern

Pros

Great place to learn , Project flexibility, Awesome Intern events, World Class Cafeteria

Cons

Too much of work expectations even if being an intern, the ramp up period is expected to be only 2 weeks .

678 Other Employee Reviews for NVIDIA (View Most Recent)

Intense Workplace - Amazing Coworkers

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Made some of the best friends of my life working at NVIDIA.
     - Learned what I am capable of achieving under EXTREMELY stressful working conditions; it gave me confidence in my own abilities
     - Relatively flat organization with little politics. You can get attention for your projects even with 8k employees
     - Definitely play hard mentality after you're finished working
     - No accruing vacation. Take it as you need it. (however I've noticed this also breeds a lot of peer pressure NOT to take vacation...so you just have to be OK with that)

Cons

- Very stressful work environment. At crunch times, there is ZERO work/life balance
    - Teams will be near completion on a project, and then a senior person will come in and completely change direction. It wastes time.
    - There are always big ideas that trickle down from the top without consideration for how many resources will be needed to execute. Each person is doing 3-people's jobs.
    - Abrasive communication style. Very negative, very aggressive.
    - None of the fun perks that other large Silicon Valley companies are known for. No free lunch. No shuttles from SF. No 401k matching (while I was there, although I think this has since changed). No cash bonus (only RSUs).

- Be more constructive, and communicate more thoughtfully with each other at the most senior levels. That positivity will trickle down to the teams you manage. Right now, it's a very thankless environment.
    - Show employees appreciation. Don't assume that ESPP or RSUs are enough. There is a lot of competition for good workers, and they will go for higher pay/better benefits/work-life-balance
    - Teach managers how to manage. Give them training on mentorship, communication skills, etc...

Trail by Fire at NVIDIA

Current Employee - Visual Designer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will get to work with some of the smartest people in the tech industry. There are so many interesting ideas coming from different team. You are encouraged to learn as much as you can and then teach it to others in the company.

Cons

The CEO is very "hands-on", JHH he likes to be included in every little detail, instead of delegating powers to other team leaders, JHH prefer to lead the decision-making of every little detail of projects. (In a way, this often can be counter-productive) Besides leadership issues, there are also lack of employee growth, you are there to get your job done, the company offers very little in terms of growth, if they want additional management resources, they will just bring a new hire instead of "promoting" those who have been there and done a lot from the start. There is little or almost no chance of moving from and to another team - specially if your manager don't want to lost any more people. RSU stock is a joke - it's designed to keep you there for forever. Your RSU shares won't get to you until after 3 years, and once it's matured, you will get very little of it, I got 52 shares one time, and by the time tax kicks in, you will be lucky to bring 25 shares home (25 shares won't even get you a PS3 bundle)

- Promote and grow your current employees, treat them as investments rather than dispensable resources
    - CEO and upper-management needs to focus on higher-level management, needs to learn how to delegate power to other team leaders instead micro-manage every little detail on every project they encounter inside the company.
    - If the company want to be "green" and going toward self-sustainability, it should focus more on alternative energy and more aggressive ways to reduce energy (including encourage employees to drive more electric cars to work, and provide shuttle services for bay area city commuters)

There are newer employer reviews for NVIDIA

Worked for NVIDIA? Contribute to the Community!