NYU Langone Medical Center

www.med.nyu.edu
  www.med.nyu.edu
There are newer employer reviews for NYU Langone Medical Center

Overall a good place to work, needs to focus on creating the same cross departmental policies for fairness

Current Employee - Web Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Web Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay in line with average, if you self advocate for a higher salary when you interview for the job they will consider it. I did and was successful.
Good health benefits, as you'd expect working for a medical center.

Automatic 3.5% yearly raises (provided you aren't written up, etc) 6% company match to your 401k or 403b after 6 month probationary period. Employee must contribute 3% to get the match, which isn't very much to ask.

HR is very good about providing protections so people cant be fired off-hand, just because a boss dosen't like the way you look, etc.

Get to work with very intelligent people who are mostly nice

You can get full tuition reimbursement for classes related to your position at the med center, if the classes are unrelated, i believe its 80% reimbursement. You do pay taxes on the classes though as the IRS treats it as a gift.
You get to have the name recognition of having NYU School of Medicine/NYU Medical Center on your resume

Cons

Each Department Chair basically sets the tone and culture of each department, as well as some rules, for example whether telecommuting is allowed or not, dress code, etc. So the day to day work environment could be very different from employee to employee. For new employees this can make it hard to gauge what you might be getting into. I happen to work for someone who is ok, sometimes (not all) he can be a little manic and formal which tends to make employees anxious, and he enforces a no jeans/shorts/bare arms dress code. This isn't unreasonable, but I am envious of a friend of mine who does the same job I do in a different dept, who is allowed to dress more comfortably and casually. Particularly as in our position we dont really interface with the public very much, such as patients or donors.

If you leave the institution before 3 years, you are not able to keep what NYU has contributed to your 401k/403b.

The other con is the location. You either pay ALOT in rent to live nearby, or you are forced to commute in and out of lower manhattan. You do get a pretax commuter benefit but it only covers about half the cost.

This is a very busy place with tons always going on and to keep track of, and if you are not a doctor, its likely you will find yourself consistently assigned with additional work thats not in your job description.

Other than a one year review after hire, in my dept (again see my note about Chair setting culture) employees aren't given a review unless they ask for it. I suppose this is a good thing if you are a slacker, but for others it denies us an opportunity to talk about various (non-urgent) issues we might have, without having to start an awkward conversation.

In speaking with certain people, I have learned that some employees in my dept have gotten 6 month bonuses and others have not, just because the people who received it asked for it. Even though the employees in question were the same quality and did the same quality work. This is unfair.

It would be great if the medical center enforced a center wide policy of allowing telecommuting one day a week for employees (there could be criteria so people would have to become eligible for this, but I think it would be a great way to reward faithful, good employees) and not leave things like that and dress code up to individual depts.

If people are consistently assigned a task outside of their job description, and it becomes part of their job, give them a raise beyond the 3.5%

The issue of who should receive bonuses should definitly be a set cross-departmental policy. If someone didn't earn it thats fine, but if you are going to offer it at all, it should be a clear set policy with eligibility criteria, not some phantom "does it, or does it not exist" thing thats whispered about. If I receive no complaints about my work, it makes me feel like crap when my friend/coworker, excited about receiving her bonus, asks me if I got mine (that i didn't even know existed) when I didn't get it.

220 Other Employee Reviews for NYU Langone Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Awesome place to work. Very professional, lots of perks

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very professional staff. on the unit in which I worked. There was never the telltale type gossip and backbiting that you witness in other Hospitals. It was NOT A hostile work environment.

Cons

8 hr shifts. Difficult in a city with many challenges related to commuting.

Mismanagement of resources and lack of staff appreciation

Former Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at NYU Langone Medical Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Working for a world famous institution

Cons

-Schedule was constantly changing
    -Hardwork was not appreciated
    -Major communication problems

-Communicate better with staff