NYU Langone Medical Center

There are newer employer reviews for NYU Langone Medical Center

Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great organization to work for. Facilities are state of the art and research departments are all centrally located in midtown manhattan (East). Really good benefits and work/life balance is just right. Great first job for anyone looking to start their career.

Cons

Research teams are very independent. That means that every PI runs their team in a different way and collaboration with other teams is limited and completely dependent on PI. That also means that your growth potential is also limited by the needs of team you work for.

My specific team lacks someone that coaches and mentors RAs....we're all young and trying to learn the trade and go to grad school...but guidance is not helpful because advice is very general...there also needs to be more interest in the part of the PIs tom ensure the RAs are on track to accomplishing their goals...not just the PIs. Despite this, I think this is a good place for someone just starting out.

243 Other Employee Reviews for NYU Langone Medical Center (View Most Recent)

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great name to add to your resume

Cons

Hard to move-up and very slow moving. Departments are very siloed. The environment can become stifling and it's hard to "move up". Not a conducive workplace for young professionals.
    after a few weeks, I became someone assistant and was asked to do tasks that were menial and just ridiculous at times. Some directors become micromanages because they feel like they have something to prove. It has been the worst experience for me.

Great Benefits/Name recognition

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Normally work with great colleagues. Exceptional health benefits which is as to be expected.

Cons

Most divisions offer little room to grow. You either have to leave or change departments. Work can be monotonous and not really intellectually stimulating. Pay is low for the industry.

Take management classes