Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organization to work for. Facilities are state of the art and research departments are all centrally located in midtown manhattan (East). Really good benefits and work/life balance is just right. Great first job for anyone looking to start their career.

Cons

Research teams are very independent. That means that every PI runs their team in a different way and collaboration with other teams is limited and completely dependent on PI. That also means that your growth potential is also limited by the needs of team you work for.

Advice to Management

My specific team lacks someone that coaches and mentors RAs....we're all young and trying to learn the trade and go to grad school...but guidance is not helpful because advice is very general...there also needs to be more interest in the part of the PIs tom ensure the RAs are on track to accomplishing their goals...not just the PIs. Despite this, I think this is a good place for someone just starting out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. POst

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great infrastructure, great location, excellent research, and excellent medical services. Wonderful staff/employees at every level. Postdoctoral research program is one of the best in the country.

Cons

Reimbursements for expenses always take a very long time to come through for employees

I have been working at NYU Langone Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great name to add to your resume

Cons

Hard to move-up and very slow moving. Departments are very siloed. The environment can become stifling and it's hard to "move up". Not a conducive workplace for young professionals. after a few weeks, I became someone assistant and was asked to do tasks that were menial and just ridiculous at times. Some directors become micromanages because they feel like they have something to prove. It has been the worst experience for me.