NYU (New York University)

www.nyu.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for NYU (New York University)

Union technical position, no growth, no challenge

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New York, NY
Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good but not great tuition remission benefits. Ok health/vis/dental. Low key. Reasonable work life balance. Good location and a lot of ways to get involved with the community outside of work.

Cons

NYU is vast but some departments run as many small fiefdoms. Not always easy to navigate politically if you end up in a small group and want to move to another. Compensation for union technical roles are below par but so are the challenge and effort required. Certain managers lack flexibility in scheduling classes during the workday. I know this sounds like a stretch request, but I worked in a department that was open 7a-10p and my colleagues agreed to cover during my classes. You also have to factor in that the tuition remission is a huge part of the compensation package for some people who are working there. Not being able to take advantage of it is problematic.

498 Other Employee Reviews for NYU (New York University) (View Most Recent)

Work with little to no pay

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get experience in doing research

Cons

Pay is way too low.
    No guarantee of contract extension despite good work.

Make assistantship applications more centralised.

Amazing university to work at.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

best thing about working in NYU is getting the Village experience that all movies featuring NYC have mandatory scenes on.

Cons

Benefits aren't great. And although there's a partial match towards retirement plans, they're not as good as what you can get from other private schools. Especially considering the tuition NYU charges its students. Wonder where all that money goes.

Management needs to be more inclusive and open to concerns from the rank and file. Case in point was the recent controversy about the university's expansion plans. Also the whole NYU Global idea, while great on paper, actually dilutes the brand of NYU NY, which is what enchants students. Not sure why I'd want to go study in NYU-AD.

There are newer employer reviews for NYU (New York University)