Union technical position, no growth, no challenge

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good but not great tuition remission benefits. Ok health/vis/dental. Low key. Reasonable work life balance. Good location and a lot of ways to get involved with the community outside of work.

Cons

NYU is vast but some departments run as many small fiefdoms. Not always easy to navigate politically if you end up in a small group and want to move to another. Compensation for union technical roles are below par but so are the challenge and effort required. Certain managers lack flexibility in scheduling classes during the workday. I know this sounds like a stretch request, but I worked in a department that was open 7a-10p and my colleagues agreed to cover during my classes. You also have to factor in that the tuition remission is a huge part of the compensation package for some people who are working there. Not being able to take advantage of it is problematic.

Other Reviews for NYU (New York University)

Work with little to no pay

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get experience in doing research

Cons

Pay is way too low.
    No guarantee of contract extension despite good work.

Make assistantship applications more centralised.

Underpaid TA

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's awesome to live in the city and get to teach. NYU is located in a cool neighborhood and has high quality academic resources. The professors are usually pretty interesting people doing cool research.

Cons

Students not very enthusiastic about learning. Some students are very bright, but most do not seem like they want to be in the classroom. There is a large discrepancy in how much TA's are paid by department from reasonably decent to next to nothing. No dental or vision benefits either.

High employee satisfaction will lead to better teaching and a better student experience.

There are newer employer reviews for NYU (New York University).

Worked for NYU (New York University)? Contribute to the Community!