There are newer employer reviews for NYU (New York University)

NYU is a fun place to work!

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University)

Pros

Working in a college environment; wonderful colleagues; benefits (tuition and fringe); and awesome neighborhood.

Cons

Huge Central Administration; politics between schools and centers - some are favored by Central and given more money. The experience at NYU depends upon which department or school you work.

I am ambivalent about Pres Sexton. I like some of improvements he has made (fundraising) and I dislike some of the choices he made in laying people off. In terms of advice, there are so many people in Central Admin so it doesn't matter what I say, they do what they want.

reviews filtered by
  1. NYU: a discounted education if you can put up with the Loons

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University)

Pros

Tuition remission!! This is a great chance to get a master's when you don't know what to do after college. You can also take whatever class you want pretty much - they love educating the workforce!

Cons

Like a lot of other places... it is a bureaucracy. There is a lot of paper-pushing that goes on here.

Stop caring about your PhD so much and acknowledge me on the elevator. Overall most of the new hires are competent and able to do their jobs... however the older people here need to be phased out with a pretty retirement package because they don't know what's going on.

2. A good environment to work in.

Current Employee - Administrative Aide in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Aide in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University)

Pros

Tuition remission makes going back to school much more affordable!

Cons

The compensation is lacking. However, I come from the nonprofit field and comparatively NYU's pay is much more lucrative. The real bonus comes with the benefits. Depending upon which code you fall under (the type of position you fulfill) you can have a range of benefits. Some position benefits include tuition remission for yourself, spouse, and children; very low expense health care; decreased gym membership cost.

On another note, departments other than the one I work directly in often run antiquated systems and use old procedures and policies which slow down the efficiency and abilities of the organization.

I feel very fortunate to work with the department I do, because they are extremely intelligent, well-organized, and have a great work/life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for NYU (New York University)