Nakisa
www.nakisa.com Montreal, Canada 150 to 499 Employees

Visualize your employees walking out the door

(Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros-Ability to travel abroad
-There are a lot of opportunities to learn new technologies and new methodologies
-The experience here allows you to spruce up your resume for future employers
-You can leverage the SAP partnership to learn as much about SAP as possible
-An advantage to such a high turn-over of people is that you get to meet many new people, so there is the chance to make new friends and relationships.
-Another advantage to such a high turnover is that in about 1 or 2 years time you can easily get "Senior" attached as a prefix to whatever title you decide to give yourself.
-There are some very smart employees in the company, learn as much from them as you can before they walk out the door. (Edit: this may no longer be valid as they are almost all gone)

Cons-Where to start….
-Independent thought is only encouraged if it is in line of the flavor of that particular week
-Regardless of what is mentioned here, there is no “work at home” for everyone. This is kind of on the “per employee” basis which would work great if you could be rewarded with that, but if your particular manager doesn’t believe in it…tough luck.
-Management doesn’t seem to trust their employees no matter how long they’ve been there. There always seems to be a sort of attitude that you as the employee are going to screw over the company some how.
-If you travel on a week-end (which you may have to do because of cost or time) good luck trying to get compensated (either with money or a day off) for your missed personal day. If asked, you will be told that this is part of the job description and if you don’t like it, you can leave (this may no longer be relevant as it seems like no one else can get fired since there are hardly any employees left)
-If you somehow manage to get yourself into the “doghouse” with the CEO, your only hope is that someone else moves in and the focus switches to him or her.
-Management likes to act chummy with people, but sometimes they need to own up and be professional instead of walking around swearing and dumping on other departments behind their backs.
-PS and R&D employees seem to have no respect for one another and instead of senior management addressing the situation, they seem to encourage it with their remarks and innuendos.
-Since the latest CFO came in, the benefits plan has steadily decreased in its offering, the cost has gone up and any employee perks have been eroded away.
-If you're about to start a job there, negotiate everything from salary to vacation days. It seems like you can easily get more vacation time than an employee that's been there 5+ years just by asking for it.
-Nakisa likes to think of itself as a big company by putting in big company rules, but they still have small company benefits and salaries. It seems like Nakisa CAN have its cake and eat it too!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, we know that you are actually reading this now but the question is what will you do about it? Let me tell you a few things that your employees are afraid to tell you. First off, the Director of HR is the CEO’s sister….can you say “conflict of interest”? Do you think that your employees will actually go tell her the truth about anything knowing that whatever you say will be reported directly to the CEO with your name attached? Come on, wake up.

Respect your employees. You’ve gotten away with treating us like dirt for so long that you may not know how to treat us any differently but it looks like you have no choice. Get the message from the droves of talented people you’ve pushed to walk out the door. I’m not saying that they were pushed because they got fired, they were pushed because you left them no choice. People are not as dumb and blind as you think. Pastures are far greener outside of Nakisa and since the “culture” is now non- existent, everyone is leaving to pursue better career opportunities and to finally get a decent salary for the hard work they’ve put in. We've all known that as soon as the economy was going to pick up, people were going to take off. Did management try to do anything about it? No...why would you? You've gotten away with not really having to pay us what we deserve, so instead of thinking ahead and prying open the wallet, you continue to pass the message that we should be lucky to have a job with Nakisa.

You have no idea what kind of confusion and distrust you cause your employees with the endless changes in direction for everything from the next release to the platforms we support. You’re quick to point the blame at individuals but hardly ever point the blame at yourself. When you do point at yourself, it’s only to take someone else down further. Here’s a key piece of advice, get rid of the family and friends that are yes men around you who only tell you what you want to hear. This company will never move forward without some senior management with some experience outside of Nakisa. Anytime you brought some outside people in, you got rid of them in a hurry since they didn’t just forget everything they’ve learned and did what the CEO says. There is one or 2 there right now, we had high hopes but they’ve learned to become yes men like the rest of them.
Its almost too late, but start treating your employees like adults and you’ll be surprised at how they’ll react. You’d better go to the people who you cannot afford to lose and give them what they want because we all know that they’re probably already looking for work elsewhere.

You can start to implement change, but expect to still lose people. Your employees have been burned too many times that nothing will keep them, but you have to start sometime right? It’s too bad that your pride and your thick-headedness has lead your company to be the shell of what it once was and what it could have been. Don’t kid yourself and think that “culture” is enough to keep people anymore. Wake up and realize that money, benefits and working conditions are what people really want, so stop using the recession excuse and start to match the market value for salaries.
One more thing, enough with the useless company meetings where you tell the company how great everything is going. When you ask people if they have questions, the question they want to ask is "if the company is doing so great, what do I get out of it?". Everyone is afraid to ask for fear of being "blacklisted" or fired for some unknown reason shortly after. Try throwing your people a bonus every now and then, this will actually prove to them that the company is doing great and they can feel like they get something for all the hard work and time they've put in. Instead they're told, "you've been working hard, but we need to work harder". People cannot work at 100% 365 days a year and you need to recognize that.

Good luck, it looks like you need it.

Could have been better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nakisa

Pros: Good product It uses good technologies. Cons: Salary very low compared to others. Minimal benefits Advice to Senior Management: Care for ppl who are present. Dont take them for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Looks great from outside but is rotten from the core...

(Former Employee)

I worked at Nakisa

Pros: -good place for 1 year only when you're a fresh grad with no expectations -good place to get a head start at consulting or a foot… Cons: -no sick days (taken off your vacation) -minimal vacations (2 weeks as per the labor laws) -very minimal health benefits (expensive insurance when you think about it,… Advice to Senior Management: Get your act together! Start listening to your employees, they are not beneath you. In the end, when you go through 5 rounds of lay… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Nakisa.

Worked for Nakisa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nakisa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nakisa CEO Babak Varjavandi. All reviews posted anonymously by Nakisa employees.